Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

could graphics card be the problem?

DPI graphics card Office excel software hardware

• Please log in to reply

jayjay423

jayjay423

• Pip
  • 3 posts

I recently had cause to change monitors and set the DPI on my computer to a lower setting that I had been using with the old monitor.  But when I viewed my Office excel files that I had been working on for many years, the margins and page breaks had changed so that the data no longer fitted as I had created them.  I reverted to my old monitor to check if changing the DPI would affect my work and it did.  As I have tried everything I can think of to alleviate this problem by settings, I am now wondering if it could somehow be a problem with my graphics card.

As I need to be able to email my documents I now fear if the recipient doesn't have the same DPI setting as me they will not be able to view them in the way I had created them and the way they need to be. I am so frustrated with this and desperate for a solution if someone can offer any help. 

(Windows 7, Office excel 2003, AMD Radeon HD6450)

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,794 posts

:welcome:   jayjay423

The display and video card will only change what you see on the desktop at any one time as in one page will still be one page but you may have to scroll down to see the bottom of the page on a smaller screen.

Have previously saved Excel documents suddenly had their layout changed and if so is it the same on both the old and new monitor.

Have you tried sending yourself one of the documents as an email and printed it off to see how it comes out. 

jayjay423

jayjay423

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

It was my perception, that changing dpi would only make the screen view bigger or smaller, so I just can't understand why it is interfering with a saved document file..  Yes, all previously saved documents change in the same way on both monitors - sheets are perfect when viewed on 125dpi (the setting they were created and saved in) but when the dpi  is changed they are incorrect.  I have tried emailing them to myself and printing them and they all print and appear exactly the same as is displayed on the screen.  I did try emailing to a friend one of my sheets  but they said when they opened it and went into pagebreak view the message came up saying "you can adjust where the page breaks are by clicking and dragging with your mouse". He did a screen print of the emailed files and sent it back to me and the margins & pagebreaks had all changed from how they appeared on my monitor (their computer dpi setting is different to mine - hence the same problem as I have when changing dpi setting).

Its just got me beat, I can't work it out !!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,794 posts

Documents are saved as they are when you view them, I feel that this is more a software as opposed to hardware issue and possibly related to aged software being needed to be updated.

jayjay423

jayjay423

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

So I assume by aging software you are referring to Microsoft office ?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,794 posts
So I assume by aging software you are referring to Microsoft office ?

Yes, support for Office 2003 like Microsoft XP ended on 08/04/2014, see here,  I am wondering whether or not a previous or final update has had an adverse affect on your software.

Worth a mention, if you have not done so already consider posting your question on the Excel Help Forum here

Good luck and let us know if you are able to solve this odd behaviour please.