Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading my Gateway FX

upgrade processor case motherboard ssd fans cpu 3.0 usb

• Please log in to reply

Leo_Leonardo

Leo_Leonardo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Excellent, I will be purchasing the above SSD and HDD soon. Another topic of importance is the transferring of my programs to my new SSD and HDD. How do I go about completing such a task?

EDIT: Do I need to buy some kind of casing for the ST1000DM003, or can I install it as is?

EDIT 2: Is there a way for me to put and run my programs on the HDD while the OS is on the SSD? or do I need to bump up my purchase to a 500GB SSD? I'm second guessing because I looked at the back up of my old OS HDD and it was filled with 719GBs worth of stuff.

EDIT 3: Is there going to be any problems if my pc has an ssd with a fresh windows 7 install and my HDD with my old windows 7 install running at the same time (they would be running at the same time for cloning software).

Edited by Leo_Leonardo, 28 July 2014 - 10:35 PM.

Advertisements

Leo_Leonardo

Leo_Leonardo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Never mind, found the answer to all the above.

New question, do I need a special SATA cable to get the most out of my SSD?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Good to see you found our answers.

A 250GB SSD is big enough for the OS and Programs.   Just a normal SATA cable is all you need for the SSD.

AS a refresher, please give a list of all the new parts you have now settled on.   Make sure you have enough SATA cables for HDDs and the optical drive.

Before starting the upgrade, have all the parts at hand.

I will give you complete instructions.

Leo_Leonardo

Leo_Leonardo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

I've pretty much built it at this point. All I have to do is add the thermal paste which I am doing in an hour or so. The parts I have are a 500GB Samsung SSD, 1TB ST1000dm003 HDD, old 1TB seagate WD10EARS, Z97X killer motherboard, GTX 780 (3GR DDR5 version), i7-4790k, stock heatsink, mx-4 thermal compound, Thor V.2 case, old CD/DVD reader. That is pretty much it.

Leo_Leonardo

Leo_Leonardo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Just finished. What should my idle temperature be for my cpu using that mx-4?

Edit: Also how do I check my cpu temp?

Edited by Leo_Leonardo, 02 August 2014 - 06:13 PM.

Leo_Leonardo

Leo_Leonardo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Also any suggestion for migrating my programs over? I have all three hard drives installed internally in my case, this includes the new SSD and HDD as well as my old HDD from my last computer.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Congratulations, :rockon:

You can see your idle temps and voltage output in the BIOS, look under system health.   To see your temps and voltage outpost under load, (not available from the BIOS,) you will need a small program like Speedfan, > http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php, post us a screenshot of the results.

Please also consider installing another free small program, MalwareBytes, it is a on demand scanner that I use once a week to look for potential infections missed by my main antivirus.   It also has a right click option added to windows explorer.   When I download a program/file/image, scan to check it is safe. > https://www.malwarebytes.org/

Also any suggestion for migrating my programs over? I have all three hard drives installed internally in my case, this includes the new SSD and HDD as well as my old HDD from my last computer.

It is not best practice to copy programs, often does not work well and the uninstaller can be missing.   Every time, Create a manual restore point, install a program from disc if paid for, update and test.

Download other programs you need from the internet and always check there is no sneaky bloatware being installed.

Assuming drive letter here.

Backup any Data you want to save from the (E drive, 1TB ST1000dm003) to the F drive. Check it is there and accessible

Delete are partition on the E drive, Create one partition and  format, then Please post back. 

Leo_Leonardo

Leo_Leonardo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Congratulations, :rockon:

You can see your idle temps and voltage output in the BIOS, look under system health.   To see your temps and voltage outpost under load, (not available from the BIOS,) you will need a small program like Speedfan, > http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php, post us a screenshot of the results.

Please also consider installing another free small program, MalwareBytes, it is a on demand scanner that I use once a week to look for potential infections missed by my main antivirus.   It also has a right click option added to windows explorer.   When I download a program/file/image, scan to check it is safe. > https://www.malwarebytes.org/

It is not best practice to copy programs, often does not work well and the uninstaller can be missing.   Every time, Create a manual restore point, install a program from disc if paid for, update and test.

Download other programs you need from the internet and always check there is no sneaky bloatware being installed.

Assuming drive letter here.

Backup any Data you want to save from the (E drive, 1TB ST1000dm003) to the F drive. Check it is there and accessible

Delete are partition on the E drive, Create one partition and  format, then Please post back. 

The bios temperature screen has been attached. It has gotten up to 69 at idle. Is this too high of a temp, should I reapply the thermal compound? I will download the SpeedFan program once I deal with some more immediate problems. 

Malwarebytes does not seem to be working correctly, it wont update database version. It says "Your databases are out of date" at the top but when I hit update now it says, "No updates available". What's up?

Did not understand anything on the answer regarding transferring programs or deleting partitions.

Edit: installed Webroot, due to the problem with malwarebytes.

Attached Thumbnails

• temperature.jpg

Edited by Leo_Leonardo, 03 August 2014 - 03:59 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

That temp is to high for idling on the stock cooler, should be about 35C or under, run speedfan and post a screenshot.

Leo_Leonardo

Leo_Leonardo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

That temp is to high for idling on the stock cooler, should be about 35C or under, run speedfan and post a screenshot.

Here are the reading from SpeedFan.

Attached Thumbnails

• CPU readings.png

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Those CPU core temps are perfect, but the BIOS shot is not showing all sensor and Speedfan not detecting any MB sensors.

please download the latest free HWMonitor, run and post a screenshot, need to seeeif it detects the sensors, >  http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

Please see what the Asrocvk Fan Expert detects.

Check you have the CPU fan plugged into the CPU fan header on the MB, also the rear fan into the Sys fan 1 on the MB. 

Leo_Leonardo

Leo_Leonardo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Those CPU core temps are perfect, but the BIOS shot is not showing all sensor and Speedfan not detecting any MB sensors.
please download the latest free HWMonitor, run and post a screenshot, need to seeeif it detects the sensors, >  http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html
Please see what the Asrocvk Fan Expert detects.
Check you have the CPU fan plugged into the CPU fan header on the MB, also the rear fan into the Sys fan 1 on the MB.

I will download the program as instructed once I get off work. In the meantime there are some questions I can go ahead and answer. The cpu fan is plugged into the mb port labeled cpufan1, the other 4 fans including the rear one have pluggins that connect to the front panel of the Thor full tower case. The front panel allows for manual control of the fans via two knobs.

EDIT: I have attached a picture of the readings from HWMonitor. These reading are when my computer is idle with no programs open.

EDIT2: These temperatures seem to be vastly different than those displayed in the Bios, is there a reason why this would be?

Attached Thumbnails

• temperature 2.png

Edited by Leo_Leonardo, 04 August 2014 - 05:04 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Thanks for the update.   All monitoring programs interpret readings from the CPU/MB sensors.   The reading do differ but should be in a reasonable range to each other. Readings shown in the BIOS should show voltage from the 3v, 5v and 12v rails, as well as temps.

I have asked another Tech, Phillpower2, to take a look.    He is in the UK, so offline at the moment

Leo_Leonardo

Leo_Leonardo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Gday.

Thanks for the update.   All monitoring programs interpret readings from the CPU/MB sensors.   The reading do differ but should be in a reasonable range to each other. Readings shown in the BIOS should show voltage from the 3v, 5v and 12v rails, as well as temps.

I have asked another Tech, Phillpower2, to take a look.    He is in the UK, so offline at the moment

Understood, thank you. What do you think the chances are that I am going to have to reapply thermal compound? Also should it be fairly safe for my pc to be running despite the heat discrepancy?

Edit: Added reading of idle temps (no other programs running) with one last program.

Edit 2: Kind of off topic but I noticed I was missing a driver and have no clue where to find it. added a picture.

EDIT 3: Back on topic, took a screen grab of CPU temp during FarCry 3 on Ultra settings.

Attached Thumbnails

• temperature 3.png
  • missing drivers fixed.png
  • temperature 4.png

Edited by Leo_Leonardo, 04 August 2014 - 10:05 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

The Asrock readinfjs are good, all OK.   It is safe to run the computer.  at this stage, I can see know reason to re apply new TIM. The CPU has thermal protection, if the fan failed, the CPU would shut down.   If the temps start to get to the CPU will Auto throtle back and increase the fan sppd.

SpeedFand and HWMonitor should be uninstalled as thery are not accurate on your platform.

Some info. 

http://www.tomshardw...temp-4770k.html

http://www.intel.com...b/CS-033342.htm

run the 64bit ver Core temp, http://www.majorgeek...temp_1_rc4.html

Also try RealTemp  > http://www.techpower...Info/Real_Temp/