Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Brand new PC build - consistent random crashes (SOLVED)

hardware crash freeze cpu gpu ram windows7 geforce motherboard help

• Please log in to reply

Panic Drill

Panic Drill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

It was the voltages in Speccy that caught my attention and why I asked for the Speedfan and HWMonitor screenshots.

Can I ask why you will not attach the screenshots following the GTG method and my posted procedure.

Wait HW monitor works now - postling in a sec.

Advertisements

Panic Drill

Panic Drill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Ok It worked this time - here is the report.

Attached Thumbnails

• hmon2.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

No problem but I had to ask  :thumbsup:

iammykyl will be around shortly so something that you can do for him;

Please restart your computer and check the temperatures/voltages in the BIOS, no screenshot is required just make a note of the temperatures and the +3.3V, +5V and the +12V, the CPU voltage and post them with your next reply.

NB: BIOS voltage readings.

The readings are not conclusive in the BIOS as the computer is under the least amount of load, if they are higher or lower than what they should be though it does suggest a PSU problem.

BTW, a MBs own monitoring software can sometimes affect HWMonitor and Speedfan readings so don't be unduly alarmed by the lack of them.

Another check that you can do;

1. Copy any dmp files from C:\Windows\Minidump onto the desktop (if by chance there are any)
2. Select all of them, right-click on one, and click on Send To> New Compressed (zipped) Folder.
3. Upload the zip folder using the Attach button, bottom left of the dialogue input box 

Additional posts noted and suggestions made still the same,

Tip
If you have something to add while waiting for a reply continue to use the edit tab – bottom right of the dialogue input box and this will ensure that no information that you provide is overlooked (this can happen if your topic has more than one page)  

Edited by phillpower2, 23 July 2014 - 03:39 PM.
Additional info added.

Panic Drill

Panic Drill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

HEre is the only .dmp I have (but it is probably because of driver error/issue when replacing GCU to test) - I have had no .dmp files made at all for any of my crashes/freezes or restarts. The only BSOD was when repalcing the GCU as menitoned.

Here is the file for the .dmp

Attached Files

Panic Drill

Panic Drill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

I have a friends RAM I can test if needed - is the ..

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL10Q-32GBXL ..on the QVL for my MB?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Your assessment was correct and the conflict may have been with the Intel video drivers, from your crash dump;

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  X64_0x7E_AtihdW76+481e

Panic Drill

Panic Drill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Update - just had another PC restart - turned off and on right away again

This was after resetting and getting BIOS readings.

I read that this could be a HMonitor issue but one of my TMPINN1 temps reads 128 degrees

Edited by Panic Drill, 23 July 2014 - 04:03 PM.

Panic Drill

Panic Drill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

BTW BIOS readings were:

+3.3v - 3.344

+5.0v - 5.010

+12v - 11.952

CPU temp 41 celcius

CPU VAXG 0.012

CPU Vcore 1.176

CPU VRIN 1.764

Edited by Panic Drill, 23 July 2014 - 04:13 PM.

Panic Drill

Panic Drill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Possibly relevant - should my SSD whir and rev often? I notice when opening some applications it goes on a 4-6 second load up/whir revolution then settles down, my PC is slightly unresponsive during this time. The main culprit app is on my storage drive and not the SSD if that would have anything to do with it. The rev up sound probably is common but the laggy desktop during this time is worrisome.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Sorry for the lack of contact.

SSDs have no moving parts, so no thrashing noise like a mechanical drive.   Some people have said they can hear a very faint high pitched whine.  The storage drive should not be thrashing at start up unless the OS is writing files or the OS is for some reason reading/looking for a file, causing lag, or you may have a program installed on that drive that is trying to run.   As it lasts for such a short time, you may not catch what is happening, but try launching Task Manager, and see what processes are running.   You might also like to see if there is a start up program hogging resources, Download Autoruns, > http://technet.micro...s/bb963902.aspx

Re. Drives connected while installing OS.   If you did have the internal storage drive connected when you installed the OS to the SSD, Windows is known to get mixed up, and install part of the system to another drive, so best practice is to disconnect all other drives, including USB flash drives which may also feature an MBR. If formatted as a hard drive they contain both an MBR and a boot record, if as a floppy, just a boot record.

As noted, your RAM is not on the QVL, only test with other RAM if it is on the QVL.

Reply #23. Looks OK.   Other software voltage readings report approximately the same wrong values, so could be a a PSU problem, lets see if we can rule other thing out.

Disconnect the internal Storage HDD. start the computer and enter BIOS, > go to the exit menu, Select, Load Default Setting, (not optimized) > Press F10 to Save and Exit,  > Confirm.

Windows should load, put the system under a big load and see if it crashes.

As you may have changed parts around, Please give the brand/model of the PSU you are currently using, and the GPU. 

Advertisements

Panic Drill

Panic Drill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Working atm, will try internal drive test when I get time, but to confirm my current PSU is my original one (Thermaltake TP 850) and current GPU is my old one for testing purspoes (Radeon 3870) but that is being switched out for my replacemnt GeForce GTX 780 soon. I will try and test a QVL RAM if I can.

If the sound wasn't from the SSD then what could it be? It isn't the GPU or PSU as the same sound/lagging happened with different units at both slots. It could only Internal storage or CPU? I looked at task manager - only new process was the b.net launcher - I tested 5 applications and they all raise my cpu usage by 10% or so - but b.net always raises it 35-45% - large spike for running it. Also B.net only ever lags if I don't open it after a while or definately always the first time on bootup of PC. The CPU usage spikes high every time it is launched but the lag and Tower noise in my PC only happens on the first startup or long time since start up. Sorry I got derailed on that, it is probably the app itself and nothing related to my restarts but it never did it on my old system. Will try and report back later on other fixes you mentioned.

Panic Drill

Panic Drill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Another tid-bit - whenever I plug in my external HD and try and eject it safely using the taskbar button it only ever recognises my SATA drive and has the external HD greyed out. The external HD also does not show up in the Open Deivces and Printers window (but it is recognised in my Device Manager). To eject it I have to pull it while in (probably ok) or turn off PC and unplug.

Should the SATA show as ejectable in the eject hardware taskbar button?

Is there something reading wrong since the external HD (USB) isn't registering the eject from that same button?

Edited by Panic Drill, 25 July 2014 - 01:52 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

A external HDD connected via a USB socket should show up in "safely Remove Hardware", It is not good practice to just remove a device from a USB port that can be written too.   You can get just some simple file corruption or, in the worst case, somehow, don't know how, the file system suddenly shows as "Raw".   Had a few of them on G2G, almost impossible to retrieve the Data. 

Are you connecting to a USB 2.0 or 3.0 port?

If the sound wasn't from the SSD then what could it be? It isn't the GPU or PSU as the same sound/lagging happened with different units at both slots. It could only Internal storage or CPU?

I believe it is the internal mechanical HDD, that's why suggest disconnecting it, to see if the noise stops, also please read related, Re. Drives connected while installing OS.

Is the Battle net launcher still in Beta?   I see reports it is still Buggy, is there an option to prevent it from starting with windows?

Have you run Autoruns yet?

Panic Drill

Panic Drill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

A external HDD connected via a USB socket should show up in "safely Remove Hardware", It is not good practice to just remove a device from a USB port that can be written too.   You can get just some simple file corruption or, in the worst case, somehow, don't know how, the file system suddenly shows as "Raw".   Had a few of them on G2G, almost impossible to retrieve the Data. 

Are you connecting to a USB 2.0 or 3.0 port?

If the sound wasn't from the SSD then what could it be? It isn't the GPU or PSU as the same sound/lagging happened with different units at both slots. It could only Internal storage or CPU?

I believe it is the internal mechanical HDD, that's why suggest disconnecting it, to see if the noise stops, also please read related, Re. Drives connected while installing OS.

Is the Battle net launcher still in Beta?   I see reports it is still Buggy, is there an option to prevent it from starting with windows?

Have you run Autoruns yet?

Connecting to a 3..0 port (I have never unplugged while PC is on for the reasons you mentioned - just stating the only ways to unplug it - it does make noise so when I dont need it for work i like to unplug it).

Have not ran autoruns or disconnected internal HD yet. Thats to do.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Try plugging the external storage drive to a USB 2.0 socket, it may tehn appear in safely remove hardware.   If it does, I suspect there is something wrong with the USB 3.0 driver.