Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network Connectivity

Network Computers Troubleshooting Wireless Laptop Hardware Technology

• Please log in to reply

Joey_Roddy

Joey_Roddy

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Hello,

I am writing to inform that at Windows startup, I am not connected to the internet. I left click on the wifi signal bars icon in bottom right taskbar and it shows my wifi home network, but can't connect to it when I try.

I right click on the wifi signal bars icon in bottom right taskbar and I left click on open network and sharing center. It says no connections listed or available.

Every time at start up, I have to run the troubleshooting and it scans for issues.
Then, it says "Network was not properly plugged in or has been disconnected."
"Detected"
"Issue fixed."

There have been times when I run the troubleshooting network connection and it only granted me the options of Network setup or explore more options.

I have tried going to device manager and doing update driver option for each network adapter, but it says, "Your driver is up to date." I even tried right clicking each network adapter and clicking on properties to find out if the driver is working properly. It says, it is.
I have the following adapters:

Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
Bluetooth Device (RFCOMM Protocol TDI)
Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160
Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

What is causing this issue and how can I fix it?

Advertisements

Xeni

Xeni

• PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Hi,

could you tell me your operating system, please?

Since when does this problem occur? Did you install something at that time?

Xeni

Joey_Roddy

Joey_Roddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

My operating System is Windows 8.1 64 bit

I have Nividia Graphics Card Geforce G740M

This problem has been in effect for probably about a three weeks or less.

I have Intel® Duel Band Wireless-AC 3160

The only things I remember installing on this laptop computer was update drivers for

bluetooth Intel® Duel Band Wireless-AC 3160 Current Driver Installed 17.0.1405.0464

and

wirelesss driver Intel® Duel Band Wireless-AC 3160 PROSet/Wireless WiFi Connection Utility Installed from intel manufacturer website.

OpenVPN was something else I installed at a later time, but I uninstalled it.

However, I am still seeing TAPS-Windows Adapter v9 showing up every once and a while in the network adapters device manager regardless of me going there to uninstall and delete the driver.

I was told TAPS-Windows Adapter v9 is from OpenVPN.

In my wireless network and sharing, I get Local Area Connection listed in the active network section, but local area connection has no connection.

All I want to connect to is my wifi home network, but too often at startup, it's not connected.

I left click on the wifi signal bars icon in bottom right taskbar and it shows my wifi home network, but can't connect to it when I try.

I right click on the wifi signal bars icon in bottom right taskbar and I left click on open network and sharing center. It says no connections listed or available.

Every time at start up, I have to run the troubleshooting and it scans for issues.
Then, it says "Network was not properly plugged in or has been disconnected."
"Detected"
"Issue fixed."

I have my home network set to automatic connection.

There have been times when I run the troubleshooting network connection and it only granted me the options of Network setup or explore more options.

I have tried going to device manager and doing update driver option for each network adapter, but it says, "Your driver is up to date." I even tried right clicking each network adapter and clicking on properties to find out if the driver is working properly. It says, it is.

Edited by Joey_Roddy, 22 August 2014 - 05:58 AM.

Xeni

Xeni

• PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160
Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

Could you check if there are newer drivers for both items? Also check if there are windows updates you have not installed yet.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

is this a regular computer or is it by chance on a surface?

Joey_Roddy

Joey_Roddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

I have checked for windows updates and driver updates. There are none. Everything is updated. This is a laptop.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

ok then...ignore my intrusion. there was a firmware problem on surfaces that made them not connect to known networks sometimes

I think xeni was suggesting you check the manufacturer's website for updated drivers for your network cards as opposed to using windows update

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Once connected to the internet can you run Speccy and post the resultant url for us, details here

Try creating a shortcut to your Internet Connection on the desktop, open Network Connections then right-click on your connection and select "Create Shortcut" alternatively If you want the connection to start along with Windows add the shortcut to Windows Startup, type "shell:startup" in the Run dialog box [Win-Logo]+[R] press Enter and then paste the shortcut into the folder and your done.