Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Key Presses Down Sporratically (Haunted)

laptop keyboard

• Please log in to reply

Lehcar_2015

Lehcar_2015

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hello!

I am having an issue with my laptop where, after I wiped the keyboard down with a (very!) damp cloth (so gently, I'm serious, I was afraid of this happening), the [%5] key will experience an intermittent issue where it will press down until I tap it once or a few times at which point it will release.  

I use a USB wireless keyboard (Microsoft wireless keyboard 800) and mouse (Microsoft wireless mouse 1000) combo.

I do not use the laptop keyboard at all.

I am running Win 8.1 Pro

HP Pavillion Notebook 15-e037cl

I use my laptop as a desktop, mostly. I use the wireless keyboard exclusively.  Plus, a few of the other keys are not responding on the keyboard but at least they're not being as obnoxious as the (%5) key.

What I have tried:

• Removed the offending key gently (holy crap, I took too long trying this the first time) and blew compressed air into the squishy space and all around it.  No visible debris on, around, or in the area... original issue persists.
  • Removed the key entirely... original issue persists.
  • Put a derogatory sticky note on top of the key... original issue persists.
  • Followed this link : [ http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/289299-laptop-down-key-is-automatically-pressed-sometimes/ ] ... the first linked resolution step is a broken link, the second links to an article about removing the mapping on the key but this filters down to my wireless keyboard.  Obviously, if I need to, I'll work out a configuration for remapping the key but I'm touch-typing all day and remapping a key that I use so frequently such as the "%" is... well, I might cry.  
  • Followed this link : [ http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/285702-cleaned-keyboard-spacebar-stuck/ ] and I thought perhaps the squishy part that protects the contact on the keyboard underside from the actual keys hitting too hard was being depressed for some reason so I pulled the laptop key back off and pushed the squishy area around with my fingernail to see if I could feel debris or stickiness trapped underneath the squishy bit.
  • This link looked promising : [ http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/299741-alt-key-wont-stop-pressing-intereferes-with-boot-up/ ] but there's no resolution.

Is there any way to remap just the laptop keyboard and remove that key but still keep the original mapping in place for the wireless keyboard?  

I haven't found any documentation on this, but what if I removed the squishy, protective bit from underneath the key?  I don't want to ruin anything I can't fix because it's a work laptop (no, can't get a new one; we're a relatively small office and IT can't allocate time/resources for this issue, it's just personally really freaking annoying). Is it held on by glue?  Will I screw everything to [bleep] and back if I do this?  I'm wondering if there's something only KINDA sticky that I can't feel when I poke it.

Thanks for your help!

Advertisements

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Considering you use the external wireless keyboard exclusively, please disconnect that keyboard completely and then see if the fault is still there when using only the laptops own keyboard.

If no fault is present when only using the laptop keyboard, the water from the original cleaning has damaged some internal component of the external keyboard and the only real cure is a new external keyboard.

Nev.