Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Memory not detected in Bios - Dell Studio XPS 8000 (Resolved)

Dell Studio XPS 8000 memory DDR3 Ram Bios

Best Answer phillpower2 , 25 January 2016 - 08:50 AM

HWMonitor, Speccy and Speedfan all report a problem with the voltage of the memory controller, MEMORY CONTROLLER: 3.056 V this is way too high, on older MBs the memory controller is controlled by a... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

jamarch

jamarch

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

I purchased a Dell Studio XPS 8000 sometime ago but when I tried to upgrade
the memory from 8GB to 16GB, I ran into some problems. First off, here are
the specifications of my PC, which will hopefully give more information for anyone
who is willing to help me troubleshoot my predicament:

Dell Studio XPS 8000
Chassis Serial Number: 5WWXML1
Running Windows 10 - 64 bit
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
2.80 gigahertz Intel Core i7 860
32 kilobyte primary memory cache
1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
8192 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (4 total)
Hyper-threaded (8 total)
Board: Dell Inc. 0X231R A01
Serial Number:
..CN736049BM0169
Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
BIOS: Dell Inc. A03 12/21/2009
Chipset: Intel D131 rev 17

The original memory configuration that came
with my Dell Studio XPS 8000 is as follows:

'DIMM1' has 2048 MB (serial number F2E2172B) [Slot 3- Black]

'DIMM2' has 2048 MB (serial number F5E2172B) [Slot 1- White]

'DIMM3' has 2048 MB (serial number 02E3172B) [Slot 4-Black]

'DIMM4' has 2048 MB (serial number 06E3172B) [Slot 2- White]

I had a total of 8gb of memory.

I replaced it with Corsair (Vengeance) DDR3 8GB (2 x 4GB)
This was inserted into [Slots 1 & 2 White] with Slots 3 & 4 Black left empty. I had planned on buying another pack of Corsair (DDR3 8GB (2 x 4GB) if the 8GB worked, therefore bringing me to the maximum amount of 16GB of memory which is all the motherboard can handle according to specifications.

However, when I booted the computer with Corsair (Vengeance) DDR3 8GB (2 x 4GB) only 4GB of the 8GB registered in the Bios. I rotated the strips and they were both good. When I went to switch back to the original configuration that came with the computer:

'DIMM1' has 2048 MB (serial number F2E2172B) [Slot 3- Black]

clear.png :angry: My PC would not boot and made a continuous beeping sound.

I am no longer able to use the original Dell memory in any configuration.Therefore, I am stuck with Corsair (Vengeance) DDR3 8GB (2 x 4GB) that was inserted into [Slots 1 & 2 White] with Slots 3 & 4 Black left empty. Slot 1 White with 4GB of Ram being the only memory recognized. The 4GB in Slot 2 White does not register in the Bios and is not seen by other
software utilities that I have tried. Hopefully you can now see my frustration and realize that I now have less memory available to me than originally came with my PC. I read through many internet forums and tried all sorts of different things to solve the problem but the results are always the same leaving my PC with only 4GB of memory to be accessed. I’m guessing that there must be something wrong with the motherboard but I’m really not sure. Unfortunately, Dell has been of very little help. Not sure what my next step should be, but if there is anyone out there that can assist me, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

John M.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

:welcome:    jamarch,

I read through many internet forums and tried all sorts of different things to solve the problem but the results are always the same 

To avoid any repetition can you tell us what you have tried already.

As an asides jamarch, I note that you have post and already receiving assistance elsewhere, we are always happy to help when we can but we cannot do so if you are already receiving assistance on any other forum/s, doing so may lead to confusion as to whose and what guidance you are following which can be both dangerous and costly, decide on which forum you wish to continue and as a courtesy let the other/s know that assistance is no longer required.

Thank you for your understanding.

jamarch

jamarch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

:welcome:    jamarch,

I read through many internet forums and tried all sorts of different things to solve the problem but the results are always the same 

To avoid any repetition can you tell us what you have tried already.

As an asides jamarch, I note that you have post and already receiving assistance elsewhere, we are always happy to help when we can but we cannot do so if you are already receiving assistance on any other forum/s, doing so may lead to confusion as to whose and what guidance you are following which can be both dangerous and costly, decide on which forum you wish to continue and as a courtesy let the other/s know that assistance is no longer required.

Thank you for your understanding.

Dell tech support says that my computer is not supported to run windows 10 but Windows 10 runs fine on my system just like Windows 7 and 8.1 did. It's my understanding that there is a fault on my mother board and only slots 1 and 3 to see the most memory. This makes no sense because slots 1 and 3 can't run memory on their own, can they? I thought memory had to be installed in pairs. Slots 1 & 2 or 3 & 4. I upgraded the bios and replaced the bios cmos battery. I swaped out the memory sticks. The computer still only reads 4GB.

Unfortunatley my computer is 8 years old and Dell would never admit that the board was defective. If I was to install a new motherboard myself, what is out there that would still be compatible with the other harware on my system?

Computer Profile Summary

64 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (4 total)
Hyper-threaded (8 total)

1484.54 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
322.08 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GH50N ATA Device [Optical drive]

SAMSUNG HD103UJ [Hard drive] (1000.20 GB) -- drive 0, s/n S1FXJ1KSC05219, rev 1AA01117,
Sony Storage Media USB Device [Hard drive] (2.00 GB) -- drive 2, s/n 5A0906010086716,
WDC WD5000AAKS-75V0A0 [Hard drive] (500.11 GB) -- drive 1, s/n WD-WCAWF0171869, rev 05.01D05,

4088 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM1' has 4096 MB
Slot 'DIMM2' is Empty
Slot 'DIMM3' is Empty
Slot 'DIMM4' is Empty

ATA Channel 0 [Controller] (2x)
ATA Channel 1 [Controller] (2x)
Intel® 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Family 2 port Serial ATA Storage Controller - 3B26
Intel® 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Family 4 port Serial ATA Storage Controller - 3B20

Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller
Intel® 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 3B34
Intel® 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 3B3C

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 [Display adapter]
DELL 2007WFP [Monitor] (20.0"vis, s/n XX-0HF730-XXXXX-6AB-28TL, October 2006)

Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1850 (Model 85xxx, Combo ATSC/QAM, 888 DIF)
Microsoft LifeCam VX-5000.
NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM)
SB Audigy

Broadcom NetLink ™ Gigabit Ethernet
Compact Wireless-G USB Adapter

Microsoft Hosted Network Virtual Adapter

Microsoft Kernel Debug Network Adapter ↓ 
TAP-Windows Adapter V9

VIA 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller
Digital Audio Interface (SB Audigy)
Line-In (SB Audigy)
Microphone (Microsoft LifeCam VX-5000.)
Microphone (SB Audigy)
S/PDIF-In (SB Audigy)
Speakers (SB Audigy)
Logitech Driver Interface (3x)
Hauppauge Consumer Infrared Receiver
HID-compliant consumer control device (3x)
HID-compliant device
HID-compliant system controller (3x)
HID-compliant vendor-defined device (7x)
Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver
USB Input Device (5x)
Microsoft LifeCam VX-5000
HID Keyboard Device (2x)
Microsoft eHome MCIR 109 Keyboard
Microsoft eHome MCIR Keyboard
Microsoft eHome Remote Control Keyboard keys
HID-compliant mouse (3x)
Logitech HID-compliant Cordless Mouse
Fax
Microsoft Print to PDF
Microsoft XPS Document Writer
Root Print Queue
MASTERPC: [email protected]:
Microsoft Device Association Root Enumerator
Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth
Microsoft Radio Device Enumeration Bus
Wi-Fi 2
ATI Remote Wonder
Generic USB Hub (6x)
USB Composite Device (3x)
USB Mass Storage Device
USB Root Hub (2x)
Generic volume shadow copy
FLASH DRIVE

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

You are still receiving assistance outside of the GTG forum but at this moment in time what I post here will have no bearing on what you have been told elsewhere as I am not suggesting troubleshooting steps only providing some info;

Dell tech support says that my computer is not supported to run windows 10 but Windows 10 runs fine on my system 

That is not quite what Dell say which is;

Product not tested for Windows 10 upgrade

Dell is not testing or developing Windows 10 drivers for this product. If you choose to upgrade, some features, applications, and connected devices may not work as expected.

Dell are not saying that Windows 10 will not run on your computer, the same applied when Windows 8/8.1 were released and all that Dell are saying is that if Vista or Windows 7 drivers don't continue to work for you then you are out of luck because they will not be spending time and money on researching and creating any drivers specifically for Windows 10.

It's my understanding that there is a fault on my mother board and only slots 1 and 3 to see the most memory. This makes no sense because slots 1 and 3 can't run memory on their own, can they? I thought memory had to be installed in pairs. Slots 1 & 2 or 3 & 4.

Not saying if there is or if  there is not a fault on your MB only offering an explanation on Ram configurations;

Not all MB memory slots are laid out or identified the same.

Not all MBs need to have the same memory slots populated before they will POST.

Most if not all MBs will POST with only a single stick of Ram in place, the Ram however will only function in single channel as opposed to dual channel mode.

You have gone into great detail in your posts (btw no need to quote all replies, it is unnecessary, time consuming and can be confusing) and so not sure if you have overlooked something or there is a possible typo;

From your OP*;

DIMM1' has 2048 MB (serial number F2E2172B) [Slot 3- Black]

Also from your OP**;

I replaced it with Corsair (Vengeance) DDR3 8GB (2 x 4GB)

This was inserted into [Slots 1 & 2 White] with Slots 3 & 4 Black left empty.

From your reply #3***;

Slot 'DIMM1' has 4096 MB
Slot 'DIMM2' is Empty
Slot 'DIMM3' is Empty
Slot 'DIMM4' is Empty

* You have the memory slots correctly identified as being laid out 3 - 1 - 4 - 2

** Slot 1 is the second slot away from the CPU and has white retaining clips while slot 2 is next to the 24 pin ATX power connection and has white retaining clips.

*** You have list the memory slots in numerical order when they should be as per your OP  3 - 1 - 4 - 2

I will also mention that the new Ram you have at 1866MHz may not be compatible/stable with your MB and or CPU, both are quoted as having a 16GB maximum limit but at a speed of no more than 1333MHz Intel® Core™ i7-860 Processor  (8M Cache, 2.80 GHz)

jamarch

jamarch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Initially, I did put out a request to several communities, however, I'm happy to report that you are the only one that has actually given thorough and useful information. Therefore, I'm not seeking or receiving assistance
outside of the GTG forum. I appreciate your suggestions and by no means am I finding anything that you have said to be confusing. If you are willing and able to continue to assist me, I would certainly be greatful.

I really do think that there is a problem with my motherboard, but if you have some other suggestions that I might try, it certainly wouldn't hurt to test them out. I tried just about every configuration that I could think of with the memory that I have and only the Corsair (Vengeance) DDR3 4GB strips seem to work. Memory Slot 1 - the second memory port that holds the Ram only reads the Corsair (Vengeance) DDR3 4GB (For whatever reason, my Slot 1, the second slot away has a white retaining clip and not black.) Not sure the other memory slots are reading the sticks at all.

If I were to purchase more memory for my PC and just use the one working slot, what type of memory would exactly work on my system and what sizes do single strips come in?
Do they sell a 6GB, 8GB, 10GB, 12GB or 16GB strips?

Considering that Dell will no longer be testing or developing Windows 10 drivers for my product, it might not be a bad idea to just upgrade my motherboard.

If I was to install a new motherboard myself, what is out there that would still be compatible with the other harware on my system? Obviously, a newer
working motherboard is going to support a lot more memory. I'm pretty sure that my 2.80 gigahertz Intel Core i7 860 CPU is still compatible with some of the
newer motherboards. Any suggestions of what I might purchase if I decide to go this route?

Computer Profile Summary

64 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (4 total)
Hyper-threaded (8 total)

1484.54 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
322.08 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

SAMSUNG HD103UJ [Hard drive] (1000.20 GB) -- drive 0, s/n S1FXJ1KSC05219, rev 1AA01117,
Sony Storage Media USB Device [Hard drive] (2.00 GB) -- drive 2, s/n 5A0906010086716,
WDC WD5000AAKS-75V0A0 [Hard drive] (500.11 GB) -- drive 1, s/n WD-WCAWF0171869, rev 05.01D05,

4088 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM1' has 4096 MB
Slot 'DIMM2' is Empty
Slot 'DIMM3' is Empty
Slot 'DIMM4' is Empty

ATA Channel 0 [Controller] (2x)
ATA Channel 1 [Controller] (2x)
Intel® 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Family 2 port Serial ATA Storage Controller - 3B26
Intel® 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Family 4 port Serial ATA Storage Controller - 3B20

Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller
Intel® 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 3B34
Intel® 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 3B3C

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 [Display adapter]
DELL 2007WFP [Monitor] (20.0"vis, s/n XX-0HF730-XXXXX-6AB-28TL, October 2006)

Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1850 (Model 85xxx, Combo ATSC/QAM, 888 DIF)
Microsoft LifeCam VX-5000.
NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM)
SB Audigy

Broadcom NetLink ™ Gigabit Ethernet
Compact Wireless-G USB Adapter

Microsoft Hosted Network Virtual Adapter

Microsoft Kernel Debug Network Adapter ↓ 
TAP-Windows Adapter V9

VIA 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller
Digital Audio Interface (SB Audigy)
Line-In (SB Audigy)
Microphone (Microsoft LifeCam VX-5000.)
Microphone (SB Audigy)
S/PDIF-In (SB Audigy)
Speakers (SB Audigy)
Logitech Driver Interface (3x)
Hauppauge Consumer Infrared Receiver
HID-compliant consumer control device (3x)
HID-compliant device
HID-compliant system controller (3x)
HID-compliant vendor-defined device (7x)
Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver
USB Input Device (5x)
Microsoft LifeCam VX-5000
HID Keyboard Device (2x)
Microsoft eHome MCIR 109 Keyboard
Microsoft eHome MCIR Keyboard
Microsoft eHome Remote Control Keyboard keys
HID-compliant mouse (3x)
Logitech HID-compliant Cordless Mouse
Fax
Microsoft Print to PDF
Microsoft XPS Document Writer
Root Print Queue
MASTERPC: [email protected]:
Microsoft Device Association Root Enumerator
Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth
Microsoft Radio Device Enumeration Bus
Wi-Fi 2
ATI Remote Wonder
Generic USB Hub (6x)
USB Composite Device (3x)
USB Mass Storage Device
USB Root Hub (2x)
Generic volume shadow copy
FLASH DRIVE

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
(For whatever reason, my Slot 1, the second slot away has a white retaining clip and not black.) 

Apologies, an error on my behalf as I put black instead of white  :bashhead:

With the 2 Xs 4GB sticks in slot 1, the second slot away from the CPU that has white retaining clips and slot 2 next to the 24 pin ATX power connection which also has white retaining clips do the following for us if you will;

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

I wouldn't consider purchasing anything until you establish what is presently happening, also worth mentioning is that dependant on what the computer is used for having any more than 8GB of Ram may be a waste of resources, for example, no games presently need or can use so much memory + replacing the MB will most likely mean purchasing a new Windows licence key unless you have a full retail key on the present computer that you could re-use.

jamarch

jamarch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

If I could get at least 8GB of Ram working on my system again, I imagine I would see a huge difference in performance.

As requested, here is my Speccy resultant url:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/44eEECdKEqrmJ4ZixIga6r2

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

This based on the two 4GB sticks of Ram being inserted in slots 1 and 2 as suggested;

The MB is indeed only utilising 4GB of Ram, this in single channel mode at 660MHz and not at 993MHz which is what the 1866MHz Ram would run at in single channel mode with a compatible MB and CPU, this does not suggest that there is a problem with the MB (or Ram) and you may recall the following from my reply #4;

I will also mention that the new Ram you have at 1866MHz may not be compatible/stable with your MB and or CPU, both are quoted as having a 16GB maximum limit but at a speed of no more than 1333MHz Intel® Core™ i7-860 Processor  (8M Cache, 2.80 GHz)

The faster Ram is not compatible with the MB or CPU.

The above is supported by information provided by a Dell representative here

The Ram as detected by Speccy;

255.pngRAM

Memory slots
Total memory slots: 
Used memory slots: 
Free memory slots: 

Memory
Type: 
DDR3
Size: 
4096 MBytes
Channels #: 
Single
DRAM Frequency: 
659.7 MHz
CAS# Latency (CL): 
9 clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD): 
9 clocks
RAS# Precharge (tRP): 
9 clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS): 
24 clocks
Command Rate (CR): 
1T

Physical Memory
Memory Usage: 
55 %
Total Physical: 
3.99 GB
Available Physical: 
1.78 GB
Total Virtual: 

With the computer disconnected from the mains power wall socket and all other devices, ground yourself on a bare metal part of the case or PSU, remove the two 4GB sticks of Ram, remove the CMOS battery (see attachment below) press the power on button to dispel any residual charge in the system, replace the four 2GB sticks of Ram + CMOS battery, reassemble and test.

jamarch

jamarch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

I did exactly as you instrcuted, but unfortunatley when I boot the computer with the Dell memory Sticks installed, I receive the same beeping sound that I did before.
The computer won't boot with the Dell memory sticks, so I'm back where I started with the Corsair (Vengeance) DDR3 8GB (2 x 4GB)
  inserted into [Slots 1 & 2 White] (3, 1, 4, 2)
The Bios still is only reading 4GB of memory. It may be that the Dell Memory has gone bad after 8 years, not really sure. Should I try purchasing the correct memory strips considering
that the Corsair (Vengeance) DDR3 4GB is probaly not right for my system?I think you said that my current memory is 1866MHz but instead my system will only take 1333MHz.
If I do end up having to replace the memory, I'd probably like to purchase two 4GB or 8GB strips. ( Although you did say that I really don't need more than 8GB)

If this is indeed my next course of action, please let me know the exact memory that you recommend that I should buy. However, if you have any other ideas, I'd be happy to try them
before investing more money on my PC.

I appreciate all of your help thus far and thanks again for your excellent assistance.

Looking forward to your reply.

John

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

I would not recommend that you purchase anything further for use with this MB as it stands at the moment.

Have read back through the thread and unless I have missed it the following has not yet been tried.

After following the usual safety measures a bit of juggling now I'm afraid  :(

Insert two of the 2GB sticks in slots 1 and 2 and the two 4GB sticks in slots 3 and 4, test and make a note of the results.

Remove the first pair of  2GB sticks, insert the second pair of 2GB sticks in slots 1 and 2, keep the two 4GB sticks in slots 3 and 4, test and make a note of the results.

Repeat the above with the 4GB sticks in slots 1 and 2 and each pair of 2GB sticks tested in slots 3 and 4 and the results written down.

Post back with an update for us once all of the above testing has been done.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Not heard back from you jamarch , do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

jamarch

jamarch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Thank you for your patience.

Sorry, I have not had time to perform the additional tests to the memory
that you suggested. I will resume testing on Saturday and post the results.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

:thumbsup:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Not heard back from you jamarch, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

jamarch

jamarch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

I’m really sorry for the long delay. I was going to try and run the tests a few weeks back and
just prior to doing so, I had an unexpected family emergency. Things have finally settled
down, so I will run the memory check as you suggested and post the results in the next
few days. Again, appreciate all of the assistance and thanks for being patient with me.

Sincerely,

John