Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New PC trips circuit breaker. Old one didn't.

circuit breaker pc psu power supply power trips

• Please log in to reply

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• PipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Hey guys,

I just built a new PC for my dad to upgrade his 10 year old one. The components are as follows:

• Intel Pentium G3258
  • MSI B85M-G43 LGA 1150
  • CORSAIR RMx Series RM550X 550W
  • Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR3 1600
  • Cooler Master Silencio 352

Reused components from old PC:

• 120gb Corsair SSD
  • 1TB WD Black

Everything works smoothly for a few hours and suddenly the circuit breaker for the room trips and I have to reset it -- usually when he's printing something from the printer. I then have to also reset the CMOS for the motherboard because the boot order gets messed up and my keyboard doesn't work, so I can't access the BIOS/boot menu.

My old PC used an Antec 500W power supply and never had this issue. In the same room, I have 2 LCD monitors, speakers, cable modem, and wireless router, printer, phone, and desk lamp. My circuit breaker for the room is rated for 20 Amps. I don't think it needs to be replaced since this problem never occurred with my old PC for many years. I went ahead today to further test the circuit breaker. I grabbed my microwave, electric kettle, and vacuum cleaner into the room and turned them on for about 2 minutes. The circuit breaker did not trip.

The only thing I can think of that I forgot to install one motherboard standoff on the lower right corner. But that shouldn't be a big deal since the mobo isn't touching the case and it runs fine for a few hours. Lastly, it could be due to faulty hardware. But I haven't read any reviews online regarding this PSU tripping the circuit breaker.

I just wanted to get some feedback here if there is anything else that I'm missing before I take everything apart to install that last standoff.

Thanks!

Edited by Numb Remxed, 22 July 2016 - 06:47 PM.

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Sounds like the circuit breaker should have tripped under those load conditions :)

I'd get a heavy extension cord and run it from another outlet in another room, before you start taking things apart.

You also need to confirm is it only doing this when the printer is used ?

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Sounds like the circuit breaker should have tripped under those load conditions :)

I'd get a heavy extension cord and run it from another outlet in another room, before you start taking things apart.

You also need to confirm is it only doing this when the printer is used ?

Thanks for your reply. 

So that's a good point. We have a Brother MFC 9970CDW All in One Laser Printer. The problem only occurred when using the printer or receiving a fax. I've read online that some Brother printers have a problem with power draw and tripping the circuit breaker. I went ahead and updated the firmware, which reportedly solved the problem for some users.

I also ran the PC in another room on the same power strip as my own gaming PC (which has a 750 watt PSU). And so far, the circuit breaker hasn't been tripped in that room.

Today, I'm bring my dad's PC back into his office and try to run the printer/fax/scan a couple times and see if this problem occurs again.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
I have a brother 7360n, lights get bright when it first fires up to print, people always say lights dim, but they actually get brighter momentarily. When you increase resistance on a parallel circuit the total resistance of the circuit decreases causing additional current flow.

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Hey so just an update, the circuit breaker is tripping even without using the printer.

I'm starting to think that it is most likely something wrong with the PC. But I'm not sure which component is at fault.. any ideas for troubleshooting?

I'm thinking of starting with the PSU and filing a support ticket with Corsair.