Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer will not update.

Vista 32 bit home vista update windows update windows vista wont update updates stuck

Best Answer HolyCowZ , 14 August 2016 - 06:28 AM

Well it seems to have worked Sleepy wahooooozers thank you so much.What I'll do for anyone else having similar issues is list below in short what I did so they don't get confused by above. 1:... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Can you attach the c:\windows\WindowsUpdate.log log to see if there is something useful there.

Copy the file to the Desktop and then Zip it.

Advertisements

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

File is attached, Also today the computer keeps hanging and freezing and took ages to start for a new install. I open something and it just hangs even a simple text document.

Just went to do a restore because it's so bad and all the restore points have gone

Attached Files

Edited by HolyCowZ, 13 August 2016 - 02:01 AM.

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Had to reinstall as it got so bad. So far vista disk loaded on brilliant no problem and very responsive it found updates in less than 2 minutes over 110 of them. I'll let you know when it gets to sp2 and stops updating again so I'll keep the post open and resend a log new log. 4 days I've been at this never had this much trouble with a fresh install ever.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Had to reinstall as it got so bad. So far vista disk loaded on brilliant no problem and very responsive it found updates in less than 2 minutes over 110 of them. I'll let you know when it gets to sp2 and stops updating again so I'll keep the post open and resend a log new log. 4 days I've been at this never had this much trouble with a fresh install ever.

I would not waste any time doing any Updates after install and would try installing immediately the SP2. You can download the full SP2 x86 on this link: https://www.microsof...s.aspx?id=16468

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

sp1 then 2 or just strait to 2?

I have sp1 and sp2 downloaded and waiting on your reply thank you sleepy :)

Edited by HolyCowZ, 13 August 2016 - 12:03 PM.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

I would try strait to SP2, the system requirements on the download page don't say SP1.

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Says I have to do sp1 first wont let me go strait to 2 so I'll do both and let you know if it updates

Edited by HolyCowZ, 13 August 2016 - 12:13 PM.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Says I have to do sp1 first wont let me go strait to 2 so I'll do both and let you know if it updates

Yep, I just notice this:

Service Pack 2, the latest service pack for both Windows Server 2008 and Windows Vista, supports new types of hardware and emerging hardware standards, includes all of the updates that have been delivered since SP1, and simplifies deployment, for consumers, developers, and IT professionals.

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Hello Sleepy all done sp1 and sp2 

should I try an update now or something else first?

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Hello Sleepy all done sp1 and sp2 

should I try an update now or something else first?

Install first the updates on that list http://wu.krelay.de/en/

Let me know if the updates are accepted or not.

Advertisements

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

All done Sleepy here's how it went.

KB3177725 Done and installed OK.
KB3168965 It said "the update does not apply to your system".  --- Same as last time
KB3145739 Done and installed OK.
KB3078601 Done and installed OK.
KB3164033 Done and installed OK.
KB3109094 Done and installed OK.

Oh it has found 184 more up dates to install but I haven't installed them. And 29 optional that's more like it. I have everything crossed you have fixed it still can't workout why it's suddenly working at this point, I'll install them in the morning and get back to you.
Thank you sleepy

Edited by HolyCowZ, 14 August 2016 - 04:54 AM.

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

183 went on OK only NET Framework 3.5 Family Update (KB951847) x86 failed.

Will try searching for more updates, fingers crossed it's fixed it and I'll put a post with if it's fixed 

Your help is very much appreciated Sleepy :)

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
✓  Best Answer

Well it seems to have worked Sleepy wahooooozers thank you so much.

What I'll do for anyone else having similar issues is list below in short what I did so they don't get confused by above.

1: Installed Windows OS (Vista in my case) from original disk and turned of auto update set to download but not update.

2: Installed the service packs sp1 and sp2 (again vista in my case) making sure they are the latest ones from the official Microsoft web site.

3: Installed the relevant to your OS files from this site given to me by Sleepy Dude http://wu.krelay.de/en/ 

4:Last but not Hit search for windows updates on normal updater. 

Now it all works fine

Thanks Sleepy top guy much appreciated :) you can probably close this now as all seems to be running well, Thanks again :)

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Hi,

I'm happy that it finally worked for you, you did a great job :thumbsup:

Now my recommendation is to create a Full Image Backup of the system state to an external drive just in case some problem arise. Restoring the image backup avoid doing all that work again, its a real time saving. A good tool for this job is Macrium Reflect Free (Guide).

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

I was looking at that yesterday thinking that's what i would do how funny is that.

Thank you again Sleep :)