Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Subtitles in MP4 file

subtitle small enlargement srt file mp4

• Please log in to reply

Hari Prahlad

Hari Prahlad

• PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Hi,

I've got a movie in MP4 format with English subtitles.

My problem is that the subtitles are too small to be clearly visible when I try to play the movie on my TV through a pen drive.

I am able to increase font size if I play the same movie on my PC using VLC.

Is there any way I can increase the font size so that I can watch the same movie on TV without straining my eyes looking at the subtitles?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

probably the easiest way is to make a copy of the original movie with the subtitles burned in (hardsub), and put that on the pen drive.

there are 2 ways subtitles are shown softsub and hardsub,

with softsub the subtitles are separate from the movie picture and it's the movie player that displays them over the top of the picture, you can turn the subtitles on and off when required.

with hardsub the subtitles are part of the movie picture and are always displayed and can not be turn off.

more on subtitles here :- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardsub

never done this myself but i believe you can record the movie with hardsubs into another file using vlc, which you can then use on your pen drive and watch on the tv with the subtitles set at a size you can see.

:popcorn:

just for info, personally i stream my media directly from my pc to the tv so i can play anything on my pc and watch it on the tv, there are a number of ways you can do this depending on your tv and how you connect the pc to it.

more info here :- http://www.trustedre...om-a-pc-to-a-tv

Edited by terry1966, 30 September 2016 - 09:58 PM.

Hari Prahlad

Hari Prahlad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Thanks.  Will try it out.  Streaming from PC to TV is not possible since PC is on the first floor and TV is on the ground floor.  I will explore the hardsub stuff and get back to you.  Many thanks.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

i did a quick test using vlc 2.2.4 and it didn't work with the movie file i used, so you might have to look into using some other program or find an older version of vlc,

i know i can burn the subtitles in to a movie using handbrake, but don't think there is anyway to make them bigger as well using that.

:popcorn:

Hari Prahlad

Hari Prahlad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

I tried it out but it didn't work.  Thanks anyway.  Let's see if someone has a solution.