Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell XPS 420 will not boot

Best Answer phillpower2 , 15 January 2018 - 12:41 PM

ERROR IN THE PREVIOUS POSTPhill sorry about this The Hard drives are not as described above they are in fact.Drive 1: a Seagate Barracuda 320 GB 7200rpmDrive 2: a Western Digital Caviar SE 16... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Jb852

Jb852

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
For info
The problem seems to be in the BCD file, as it says that something is missing, is there any way to get into or rewrite that file?

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg

Edited by Jb852, 21 January 2018 - 02:19 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hmm, it`s not working obviously  :(

Try sfc /scannow there is a guide for this here you will need to have your Windows 10 media in the computer for this.

Jb852

Jb852

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
Ok will do hope the guide is an easy one
Jim

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Tis, just thought you having something visual would give you an idea of what should be happening, 

I`m not sure how you even got the troubleshooting options to tell you the truth.

Jb852

Jb852

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Hi, gentlemen
My screen does not resemble the example

hi again, 

thought it may be worth a look at the properties of the only local drive I seem to have

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg

Edited by Jb852, 21 January 2018 - 02:46 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hi Darrin,

What would you advise 

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts

I am confused now as well. How are you getting into File Explorer? Are you able to boot into Windows 10 and if so how?

Jb852

Jb852

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

followed the instructions in#77

jim

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts

I still believe the issues are related to the Raid configuration. I would recommend performing the following steps. Then you should be able to install Windows 10 on the one drive. Once it is up and running connect the other drive and we can help you get it working.

Boot with the Windows 10 USB

2. During the install select the Repair option to bring up the command prompt console

3. In the command prompt type each of the following commands followed by pressing enter key

diskpart

list disk 0 (verify it is the correct disk #)

clean

convert gpt

create partition primary

format quick fs=ntfs

assign

exit 

4. This should allow you to then select the unallocated partition to install Windows onto

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts

followed the instructions in#77

jim

Did you reinstall Windows 10?

Advertisements

Jb852

Jb852

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Hi Darrin, 

I appreciate, your help, Im am being guided by Phill and you as Im way out of my depth on this.

With the screens I have up I only need to  close a couple to get back to the cmmd prompt screen, then I can enter the commands you suggest, will that do? 

It took Phill and I a while to get to the prompt screen and Im really reluctant to come all of the way out and reboot.

jim

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts

I understand and we are trying our best to help. It looks like you have installed Windows 10 now but none of your hard drives are showing up under file explorer, etc. Do you have a full Windows 10 desktop with Start menu etc? 

Okay, I understand what is going on now. You are just using Notepad to open file explorer. So yes, please get to a command prompt and follow my commands.

Edited by dmccoy, 21 January 2018 - 03:17 PM.

Jb852

Jb852

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Darrin,

Our posts seem to be crossing, undoubtedly my fault, apologies,

How I got here is in#57

"UPDATE:

Disk did not seem to be having any effect, so after a number of reboots i decided to chance the new USB drive, again after a number of reboots  and unexpectedly its at the w10 setup screen, do we want to proceed? "

jim

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts

Okay, I understand what is going on now. You are just using Notepad to open file explorer. So yes, please get to a command prompt and follow my commands.

Jb852

Jb852

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

reply to #87

No

if I come out screen by screen I will get to the W10 repair screen

jim