Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to install recommended Microsoft Updates

• Please log in to reply

Ben T

Ben T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
None of the 3 values were in the registry. I entered the commands given. Still my computer didn't accept the updates.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
We are really on the last now more or less
Rename Pending.xmlRename the Pending.xml file. To do this, follow these steps:
  • Open an administrative Command Prompt window.
  • At the command prompt, type the following command: takeown /f C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml
  • Rename the c:\windows\winsxs\pending.xml path by using the following command:
Ren c:\windows\winsxs\pending.xml pending.old

Ben T

Ben T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Just to make sure I understand what you want me to do, this is what I entered: takeown /f Ren c:windows\winsxs\pending.xml\pending.old.

It gave me the response, ERROR: Invalid argument/option - 'c:windows\winsxs\pending.xml\pending.old. Type "TAKEOWN /?" for usage.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
The cmd to take ownershiip does NOT have the \pending.old

Ben T

Ben T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
After I enter "takeown /f C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml", it gives me this error message, "The system cannot find the file specified."

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I appreciate you have run this before but please do so again and see if after the changes we ahve made the tool will now install
http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=20858

In respect of the last, I am still looking at it.

Ben T

Ben T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
It took 20 minutes to download and install that program. It still didn't allow the installation of the updates.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
That is not unusual - the time I mean

Note The System Update Readiness Tool scans for inconsistencies in your computer, while it is being installed. It typically takes less than 15 minutes to run the scan, however, the tool might take significantly longer on some environments. Although the progress bar may appear to stop, the scan is still running and you should not cancel the update.

I am signing off as it is an early start at 0700.

Will not be on until 2030 hrs

Just been reading the topic in the Malware forum where CompCav looked at the ssytem dud you do this please

You may also want to check the website for this dell for updated ati drivers for the video.

Ben T

Ben T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
I will be back at 1400 PDT today or in 5 hours after this post.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. Did not get home until 2200 and out again at 0600.
Sorry about that.

2. Please send me this
Would you also send me this please.

PLEASE NOTE - may I ask that you do not make any changes, recommended.

It is of course your computer, but if you make changes after sending me the results, it makes my job harder.
2. Run this please and send me the results

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others).

Go to: http://www.pCPitstop.com

Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive

In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!" OR YOU CAN RUN THE TEST ANON. without signing up. - you will see that at the end of that screen. The results will still be saved long enough for me to look at them.

If you do wish to sign up - for some reason

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)

You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.

Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed. - Please do not follow any procedures, until I have seen it for the reason outlined above

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

PLEASE DO NOT RUN ANY other tests on offer

3. and PLEASE RUN THIS
http://www.geekstogo...er-by-oldtimer/

4. Would you also please confirm in device manager, that no devices have warnings against them

5. Please see this we have done most of them would you please work through 7, 8 and 9
http://support.micro....com/kb/2509997

Advertisements

Ben T

Ben T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Didn't update video driver because computer wouldn't install Microsoft Visual C++2008 SP1 Redistributable.

http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=24929135

Device Manager is clean. No warning signs.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Please see 5 on my last sorry missed the link off last night.

Ben T

Ben T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Ran 6, 8, and 9 without success. For #7, I'm not sure I understand what to do. It says do not let my antivirus scan these files. It doesn't mention needed to do in Windows 7.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
  • In Windows 7, click Start. In the Search programs and files box, type command prompt. Right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.
  • Type MSIEXEC /REGSERVER, and then press Enter.
and try yet again.

Ben T

Ben T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Failed again.