Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My HP Envy is Nothing to be Envious About - SLOWER than an Abacus

HP Envy Windows 8.1 slow slow computer

• Please log in to reply

DisabledDork

DisabledDork

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Apologies, it's been a rough couple weeks. I've been having a difficult time getting on the computer, much less trying to do any graphics work. But I have at least taken some screenshots with CrystalDiskInfo although I don't know that it will help though since I haven't been able to actually do anything more than a little web surfing and checking my email. My computer has been behaving for the most part, but I don't think that the issue has resolved itself/gone away.

I've typed out responses several times. Too stupid to copy them and save them. But they've been deleted as I either get kicked out of G2G and am told to sign in again, my webbrowser crashes, or stupidly I shut down my browser not remembering that I was working on a response that I hadn't saved. I just lost another one after being knocked out of G2G multiple times.

DISM log is too big to upload. Sfc/Scannow didn't find any integrity violations DISM_Sfc_Scannow.JPG

I already looked into and implimented all of the suggested items to help maximize LR. My issue is above and beyond that. I think it could possibly be network related? I noticed that the resource monitor values changed before and after the Clean Boot from 0-1 Mbps to 1-10 Mbps, although now it's 1-100 Kbps and sometimes back to 1-10 Mbps, so it was probably coincidental since I haven't made any changes, in other words my machine is still in the Clean Boot state, only MS programs are in start-up.

I notice that things are significantly slower even when simply trying to view images in Explorer that are stored across the network, on my network drives. My images that I work with in LR are stored across the network while LR itself is stored on my laptop harddrive. I did this as a way to keep my laptop harddrive from becoming full or even close to full. LR and LR catalogs must be stored on the local drive.

If it helps any, my network consists of:

NETGEAR AC1600 Dual Band Wi-Fi Gigabit Router (R6250)

ARRIS / Motorola SB6121 SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem

Synology DS1513+ NAS with
five - WD Red 4TB NAS Hard Disk Drive - 5400 RPM Class SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD40EFRX

I had been wondering why the system idle process was running at all when I thought everything else was closed, but it did look like FF, or Chrome was still open. The issue was the LR was locked up for literally hours. It didn't normally do that and it wasn't as though I had asked it to do anything. It's not some sort of rendering or modeling program, I wasn't importing or exporting files. Something else was going on that was competing with it so that I couldn't get into it, or it was doing something all on its own that it didn't need to be doing. That's what I need to figure out, rectify and be able to change so that I know what I'm doing or it's doing so I can actually work. Because it's not a matter of closing every other program - I've tried that, and other people are able to use LR, PS and other programs at the same time and so was I on a crappier computer.

Also, I don't know if it makes any difference to you, but FWIW, I don't use LR or PS CC (creative cloud). I'm not online or required to be when I use mine.

Please let me know if I forgot to respond to something. I've rewritten my response so many times I have no idea what I may have missed.
OH! Screenshots!

Crystal_aftersleep.JPG

Crystal_LRprocessing_2.JPG

Crystal_Firefox.JPG

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,750 posts

The three screenshots show that your 1TB Seagate HDD is fine for the most part but also that it suffers from high temps, this will affect performance and when getting overly hot the drive will lock up, for now, can you run Crystal Disk on the WD Red 4TB NAS HDD and post the screenshot/s for us.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,750 posts

Not heard back from you DisabledDork, do you still require assistance or are all issues now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

Run Crystal Disk on the WD Red 4TB NAS HDD and post the screenshot/s for us.

DisabledDork

DisabledDork

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

I'm doing the best I can as far as responding. Please be patient with me. I need for those earlier comments of, "No hurry" and, "Take your time" to be relevant to all of my communications. I don't know how to best explain how difficult it is for me to just get through my day in life, much less anything additional such as respond to emails, post messages on forums or social media sites, or even talk on the phone with friends or family members - all things which I don't have the luxury of doing in general since I must focus the energy I do have on important tasks such as showering, eating, paying bills and managing important communications to ensure my world continues to function, especially since I'm all on my own, homebound and am only capable of a very short period of focused energy-absorbing tasks including mental ones before I am drained so much that I need to crash for a few hours to recharge like a drained battery.

I don't want you to think that I've disappeared or that I'm ungrateful for the assistance. I do understand that many people do disappear without ever another response, so much as a thank you, an acknowledgement that they no longer need or want assistance for whatever reason and it makes it difficult for you all to be able to manage your forum and your scheduling. I don't want to be a burden or inconvenience. I do wish it weren't as hard as it is for me to "simply" send a "quick" response so that you wouldn't be bothered by my disability. I don't know what I can do to make it easier for you or to show you that I am someone who doesn't leave others hanging. Unfortunately it could be a matter of weeks between responses.

If there were a way in which I could show that I've at least visited the site, to show that I am not giving up on working together towards a solution, without having to engage my brain in any way much more taxing than to login, that would be ideal. But all of that is secondary to why I am here. Of course, I'm not saying it's not important, since it is important to me that you are happy and satisfied. So if there is something you think I might do to show you I'm not going to disappear and that I'm still here without having to be able to respond with an actual message, please let me know.

It would also be very helpful if I didn't keep getting kicked out of the site/being required to login whenever I attempt to post or click on "More Reply Options" so that I can upload and add a screenshot. I have the checkbox checked to remember me, and I thought there was a box to check to stay logged in, but I can't recall what the option is. Whatever they are, I end up on the outside and then I have to navigate back to the topic thread even just to be able to comment. I'm trying to get into the habit of copying all, pasting into MS Word so I don't lose everything, but it's still frustrating, tedious and if there's a way to avoid the long way around I'd love to know.

And now, back to our regularly scheduled program...

Thank you both for your responses. I greatly appreciate the suggestions and the desire to assist.

Regarding refreshing Windows, I did also try that, after I had already completely reinstalled Windows myself and then HP as well reinstalled Windows upgrading me from Windows 8 to 8.1.

As far as malware detections, scans and check-ups go, I've run several different scans by a few different companies at various times, as well as run a few back-to-back including a multi-hour boot scan. Everything turned up clean, indicating that I don't have any malware or infections. It's not that I think I know everything about this avenue, it's that I feel fairly confident that I don't have an issue in this area and due to the fact that I'm so incredibly limited in energy and it takes me significantly longer to do anything/everything, I'd rather focus my energy/efforts on a path which I feel is most relevant.

Would you/could you kindly help me figure out how to run CrystalDiskInfo on my Synology? There is an onboard diagnostic and temperature sensor. But I know you want more than just the temperature.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,750 posts

I'm doing the best I can as far as responding. Please be patient with me. I need for those earlier comments of, "No hurry" and, "Take your time" to be relevant to all of my communications.

We understand there may be delays between replies and there is no rush whatsoever here, it does look a bit off though when you visit the site but do not update your topic for over a week on more than one occasion.

If there were a way in which I could show that I've at least visited the site, 

I make a point of checking a members site activity before asking them to update their topic, when I noticed that you last visited on Nov 25th 16 but did not reply to your thread I gave it four days to allow for unforeseen circumstances and then post requesting an update.

Would you/could you kindly help me figure out how to run CrystalDiskInfo on my Synology? 

Neither Speccy or CrystalDisk show the presence of the exernal HDD device, make sure that the device is powered up then run both Speccy and CrystalDisk again and post whatever information may be available to you.

DisabledDork

DisabledDork

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Grr, I don't know why my response from this morning didn't post. :( I'm starting to get pretty frustrated with this site/my faulty peripherals.

I've done my best to try to explain that it takes me literally ten times as long to do things as other people. Your perception that if I visit this site and don't post a response I must be doing things off-topic is completely wrong. The problem is that many people make the wrong assumption based on the way they do, experience, understand and react to things and expect that it is the same for others. We're all different, think differently, see things differently, experience things differently, have different capabilities, different interests and objectives and our backgrounds and approaches provide a different range of possibilities. That's one reason why the world of computers is not exact; because humans are at the helm and we don't all act and react the same in the same situations.

When I come to the site I begin to type my response. I often have to take breaks. I lose my place, I forget what I am saying, what was said in the conversation, my cursor jumps all over the screen and by the time I get back to where I was I forget once again what was going on. I also get kicked out of the site by the time I attempt to post or attach an image or log and then have to remember how to navigate back to the topic despite the fact that I've found my way here multiple times. It sucks to have brain damage and to live as though every small effort is equivalent to competing in an iron man competition, leaving me exhausted physically and mentally. But I still keep pushing every single day. I know that nobody else understands that this is what I live with. But I will continue to ask for tolerence, patience and to not be held to the same standards you're using to review others. I'm trying. I need my computer, it is how I communicate with the outside world and how I am able to coordinate many of the details of my life. So I am not going to give up trying to figure out how to regain/obtain the realistic use of my computer.

I also understand that what I'm attempting to say or convey might not always come across clearly. I'll continue to try to get my point across and be as patient as possible. But I'm not going anywhere as long as the line of communication is open and I'm in the right place for assistance.

As far as my NAS is concerned, it's always on. It's a wireless network drive. I don't know why it would show up on Speccy or CrystalDisk? I think you may have misunderstood or misread? It's a five bay Network Attached Storage device. There are five harddrives in it. Synology DS1513+

DisabledDork

DisabledDork

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Perhaps this image will shed some light on what I'm trying to say about how my storage device is attached and why it wouldn't show up on Speccy and CrystalDisk.

Network Drive.JPG

It is listed under "Network Locations".

I have it mapped as a network drive, but it doesn't show up as a separate storage drive. I would attach screenshots for Speccy and/or CrystalDisk except that they won't show anything new that they weren't showing you previously.

Please advise how you'd like for me to proceed.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,750 posts
I've done my best to try to explain that it takes me literally ten times as long to do things as other people. Your perception that if I visit this site and don't post a response I must be doing things off-topic is completely wrong. 

This thread needs picking up and shaking down as it is all over the place, your thread title "My HP Envy is Nothing to be Envious About - SLOWER than an Abacus" is absolutely nothing to do with diskstations or network problems while it is highly probable that your latest issues are!

In your reply #21 post on Nov 21st in response to my reply #19 post on Nov 14th you said the following;

My computer has been behaving for the most part, but I don't think that the issue has resolved itself/gone away.

We have gone from the above to investigating NAS HDDs which is completely off topic and therefore not good practice, do the following and depending on the outcome you may need to start a new thread on the Networking forum.

Shut down the NAS, disconnect any external USB devices from the computer then use it as you normally would to see how it performs.

FWIW: If I had to hazard a guess I would say that like many other GTG colleagues that give their time for free to help other we do so for almost 365 days a year, there comes a time though when folk cannot be around  due to poor health etc, just had this myself and believe me visiting GTG looking through streaming eyes while coughing and sneezing was not an option, health and family always come first.