Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desperate for help re:iPhone texts deleted remotely

iPhone spoofing remote deletion virus Masking texts HELP

• Please log in to reply

Desperateforyourhelp

Desperateforyourhelp

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Unfortunately I sure know how to pick'em. Doubchebag ex did some bag things and of course when things were reaching the end, I guess he started thinking about how a lot of what he texted was problematic.

One day I get a text from him. I read the text. the next time I look at the text POOF not only is it gine but it wiped out every single text we ever exchanged.

Worse it replaced that text so when I went to look at what he wrote instead I saw a series of texts from my former hair stylist - it's still identified as from him and his number but it's obviously a duplicate of this other thing. When I look on iPhone for a list of texts received I see him listed twice one followed by a few words from the (spoofed) hair stylist's texts and a second followed by a few words from my lest text to him. If I open that second thread it immediately shifts to the bogus thread.

Finally when I realized I might need to keep track of what was being said, i switched to a Verizon app and the fake texts no longer appeared but that only helped going forward, it did not help going backward. I can't say more but I really really need those old texts.

Do you have any clue what he might have used. Would it be a virus. Would it be some sort of spoofing program. Is there any way to remove it as I'm thinking it might simply be masking the real thread. Is this legal. If he was able to do that, might that give him a key stroke program or some other way of tracking or reading what I do? I've taken the phone to Verizon and to Apple but they were lost.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Once a file (text or otherwise) has been overwritten, what used to be there under it can no longer be retrieved.

To get rid of whatever malware (malicious software) they might have installed, reset the iPhone back to factory defaults. Tap Settings, then General. Scroll down until you see Reset. Tap Erase All Content and Settings. Enter your Apple ID password. The reset process will take a minute or two, after which you'll see the welcome screen asking you to swipe to continue.

Desperateforyourhelp

Desperateforyourhelp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
So there is no hope of ever retrieving the texts or identifying HOW he remote wiped the exchanges.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

According to Apple, "you can restore the information on the device using iCloud Backup (if backup was turned on before you erased it)".

https://support.appl...01?locale=en_US

That page also explains how to remotely erase a device.