Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

win 10/win 7 dual boot - major problems again

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

netrate

netrate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear.  I will not know if the w10 restoration issues are working until the next crash (hopefully never happens).  I was speaking of prior restore points (before this thread), did not yield results.

Attached Thumbnails

• ss1.png
  • ss2.png

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

You said "I will not know if the w10 restoration issues are working until the next crash"

You should still be able to see if restore points have been created and test by creating a new restore point, then restore to that point, to see if it works.   We will get back to that later.

Protections screenshot, everything looks OK.

Virtual Memory screenshot.   You have no virtual memory for the C:\ drive. 

Go back to the Virtual window 

1.   Untick Automatically Managed.... > Highlight C:\ >  click the radio button System Managed > click Set > click Apply or OK, You will need to restart.

Go back to the same window, take a screenshot. 

netrate

netrate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Oh dear.  Not enough space on this drive for the paging file size speficied.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Go to the Virtual window.

Untick Automatically Managed.... > Highlight C:\ >  click the radio button Custom size  > in the initial size box > type 800 > in the maximum size box > type 800  > click  > Set > click OK > close all windows  > Restart. 

netrate

netrate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Done.  Rebooted. 

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Good.

Now need to test that restore points work.

Look for a program you have installed, small, easy to reinstall, suggest something like Green shot, if still there.   (just done this)

1. Go to System Restore > create a manual restore point.

2.  Find the program from the start menu > click the program uninstaller (do not use Revo) > follow the prompts > check the program has been removed.

3.  Go back to System Restore > Restore back to the point you just created following the prompts, may take 3 minutes

4.  Check the program is restored, and works.

If success?? You will need to create a fresh drive image for transfer to the 250GB SSD at a later date.

netrate

netrate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Ok will do.

Something else I noticed.  My clock is not keeping time, but strangely it is always an hour behind.  I am not sure if this is a CMOS battery issue or not.  Should I change it?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Check first that date, time and time zone are correct.

This a bit simplistic, but covers everything > https://support.hp.c...ument/c01927504

After shutdown/hibernate, the clock displays wrong, then a CMOS replacement may be nec. 

netrate

netrate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Oh the adjust for daylight savings was not clicked.  Ok, at least I know it isn't my battery.

netrate

netrate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Does system restore make me shut down the computer? or does it do it while I am still on it?

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

When creating, no shut down.

When restoring, definitely shuts down to reconfigure the system. 

netrate

netrate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

ok, I am assuming there isn't anything to be concerned about when I try to run restore.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

ok, I am assuming there isn't anything to be concerned about when I try to run restore.

correct, System restore won't make changes to your Data or efect Booting into windows.

The below steps from post #52 are to test System restore is working correctly.

Look for a program you have installed, small, easy to reinstall if you have too, suggest something like Green shot, if still there.   (just done this)

1.  Go to System Restore > create a manual restore point.

2.  Find the program from the start menu > click the program uninstaller (do not use Revo) > follow the prompts > check the program has been removed.

3.  Go back to System Restore > Restore back to the point you just created following the prompts, may take 3 minutes

4.  Check the program is restored, and works.

If success?? You will now need to create a fresh drive image for transfer to the 250GB SSD at a later date.

If not successful?? please post back. 

netrate

netrate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

I know I am being paranoid and worrying unnecessarily, but is there another way I can do this without resorting to RESTORE to see if the points are there?  I might have to create another MR backup just before I do this.  My luck hasn't been great, as you already know.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

There is no good reason why System restore should mess things up.   You uninstalled programs using Revo, so lets see if there were successful points created.   Work you way to system protection and the restore tab, are there restore points listed?