Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blank Blue Screen on startup Windows 7 Home Edition Repair (Resolved)

Best Answer JimSellers , 20 November 2021 - 01:58 PM

BRAVO BRAVO Phillpower2 After eight pages of your patience and guidance I have two computers fixed and two computers upgraded to windows 10. I cannot tell you how amazed and how grateful I am. Th... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
I've got the Windows.iso file on the new hard drive,

Sorry but this needs to be on a USB thumbdrive so that if an in place update does not work you can then insert the USB device into a USB 2.0 port and clean install from there, having saved the ISO to a HDD you would need to burn it to a DVD disk before being able to use it, you need the portable USB device option so that it can be used on both computers.

After fifteen hours of doing nothing something is clearly amiss  :(

Use option two here to put Windows 10 on an 8GB or above USB thumbdrive then get back to us.

NB: Can I just make sure that you have any product keys safely written down.

Advertisements

JimSellers

JimSellers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
I tried to put the windows.ISO file an a DVD but it would not quite fit. I have a 16 GB thumb drive and I will put the ISO file on it. Is it necessary that the thumb drive have nothing on it other than the ISO file?

Cheers, Jim

Edited by JimSellers, 30 October 2021 - 07:05 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

As said after 15hrs something was amiss.

Any acknowledgement of the other content in my replies #44 and #46

JimSellers

JimSellers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
I did a full back up of my computer before I started to try to upgrade to windows 10. Also I have the results from the magic jellybean program. Can the thumb drive with the windows.iso on it have other files as well, or does it have to be empty except for the windows.ISO file? Should I use Cont+Alt+Del to exit the stuck install effort? I just tried to copy the windows ISO file from my external hard drive to the thumb drive, and it says it cant do it. The file windows.iso is too large for the destination file system. Thanks again for all the help.

Cheers, Jim

Edited by JimSellers, 30 October 2021 - 08:11 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

The thumbdrive needs to be empty I'm afraid, if you only have the one thumbdrive, no matter as you can download the drivers that will be needed to the second computer, just be sure to create a new folder and to name the folder whatever computer the drivers pertain to.

Get the ISO downloaded to your 16GB thumbdrive then post back.

Product key and other info acknowledged.

JimSellers

JimSellers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
I just tried to copy the windows ISO file from my external hard drive to the thumb drive, and it says it can’t do it. “The file windows.iso is too large for the destination file system.”

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Sorry but you are not doing what has been asked of you and as you are finding trying to cut corners makes things take longer and does not save any time.

I've got the Windows.iso file on the new hard drive,

Sorry but this needs to be on a USB thumbdrive so that if an in place update does not work you can then insert the USB device into a USB 2.0 port and clean install from there, having saved the ISO to a HDD you would need to burn it to a DVD disk before being able to use it, you need the portable USB device option so that it can be used on both computers.

Use option two here to put Windows 10 on an 8GB or above USB thumbdrive then get back to us.

Can I ask that you do not go back and edit your previous posts, we do not get any notification when you do so meaning that something important could get missed.

JimSellers

JimSellers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

I did a backup of my computer before starting the attempt to upgrade to Windows 10, and I have the results from the Magic Jellybean program on my iphone photos. I have the Windows.iso file on a previously blank thumb drive. How should I close out of the faulty Windows 10 update program? I shall be careful not to edit posts.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

If not done already see if you are able to use Ctrl -Alt -Del to end the present task.

Restart the computer, once Windows has booted insert your thumbdrive that has Windows 10 on it into a USB port.

When the contents open you should see a Setup option at the bottom of the list, right click on it and then select Open, a Windows should open asking if you want to allow the program to make changes to your computer, select yes and then follow the on screen instructions to install Windows 10.

Remember that clean installing Windows 10 will require that the drive be formatted.

JimSellers

JimSellers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

I did as you suggested. It's been stuck at "Making sure you're ready to install." for two hours now. Is there another way to format "C"? Like from the command prompt? 

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Not sure why it is taking so long, the HDD is not shown to be having any issues in your Speccy report.

Options are to leave it for a while longer and if no joy stop the install and update the other computer first, if the second computer upgrades without issue you know that this one has issues.

Wiping the drive first with DBAN is another option but using Windows is a preferred method.

JimSellers

JimSellers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
I will let it go a couple more hours and then report back.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Ok  :thumbsup:

What actually happened up to the point that it is now, what steps had you taken along the way.

JimSellers

JimSellers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
I restarted the computer. After windows had started, I selected the user Val, pressed enter, waited for about 15 minutes for everything to stabilize, inserted the flash drive with the windows.iso file, opened the thumb drive, right clicked on “set up“ and selected run as administrator. It started a process and counted down and finally came to an “Accept the license agreement“ screen, I accepted it, and ended up stuck under “making sure you’re ready to install“ screen, where we are now. Thanks, Jim

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
I restarted the computer. After windows had started, I selected the user Val, pressed enter,

That could be a problem, the whole drive needs to be formatted so sign in as administrator, see info here