Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No bootable devices available error-please help ASAP (Solved)

Best Answer Elton yu , 04 November 2015 - 06:06 AM

HEY GUYS any of you still around?    So i got my laptop checked and my brothers gonna take it to the shop to replace the dam harddrive (it was the harddrives fault as said by a technician... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Using the disc is ther simplest method to try repairs, there are other options but  they get very complcated with many instrutions for you to follow.

The last resort is reinstall of the OS.   As you can't read the product key, which you will need, try the following steps.

You will need to do this on a working computer with windows 7 OS.   Log on to the computer, log on to Geeks to Go, open this topic.

Follow instructions to download and open the key finder tool, > http://www.windowske....com/guide.html

How to burn a  ISO to disc, > http://www.wikihow.c...le-on-Windows-7

Advertisements

Elton yu

Elton yu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Ok i will try those
About the other complicated ways,is it ok for you to tell me them so i can use every possible way i can in order to fix it,
But if you wont im ok with it

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

try this. :- follow the 2nd video in this link

http://www.dell.com/.../en/19/SLN85604

BUT DO NOT choose the system restore, choose option 1 to repair your computer at this screen.

factory-image-restore-05.jpg

http://www.insidemyl...-windows-vista/

like the others have said the problems your having is because when you dropped the laptop the hard drive was physically damaged and the files on that bit of the drive can no longer be read, with luck we can get things working again for you but as stated it may need a factory restore using the restore partition, so you will need to backup your data one way or another, personally i'd use a linux live cd so you don't need to remove the hard drive.

anyway lets see how well the restore partition startup repair does first.

after it completes if it starts and just takes you to a black screen with mouse pointer again, then from there we'd need to get you to run the sfc /scannow command to see if that will fix things or maybe use chkdsk command to automatically fix the drive and system files using ctrl alt+del to get to task manager but not sure of the exact steps for those but bet iammykyl will know them. :D

:popcorn:

Edited by terry1966, 07 April 2015 - 01:42 AM.

Elton yu

Elton yu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
ve burned the ISO now what

Elton yu

Elton yu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
I have burned the ISO in te disc what should I do now

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

With the laptop connected to the wall socket and switched on

> Put the disk in the DVD tray.

> Restart and start tapping the F12 key to display the Boot Options.

> Use the down arrow key to highlight DVD/CD, > press enter.

The Laptop will start and the Key Finder program will load.

On the first screen, . click, Product Key Finder ,

On the second screen,   select the Windows drive.

Write down any product codes displayed.

When finished, remove the Disc.

http://www.windowske....com/guide.html

Post back, then we can look at Nev's fix. 

Elton yu

Elton yu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Uh oh,
This is what the second screen looks like on mine...
Should i restart the process or....

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

to be honest until iammykyl comes back online seeing how the software can't find a key i'd try the repair install a couple of more times to see if it fixes things, think i read somewhere it only fixes one problem at a time so if you have more than a single problem it needs to be run a couple of times, not sure if that's correct now or not because my memories bad and it's been ages since i actually used a windows pc. :D

use the way shown in the dells video to start and run the system repair using the recovery partition tools, and like i said if it fails to take you to the desktop but does take you to the black screen of death, with the black screen and mouse pointer, stop there because from there it should be possible to get to the command line and run the sfc /scannow command or even the chkdsk /f command to see if it will replace/repair the system files needed for it to boot correctly.

edit to find the key from your picture i see you tried F: windows, see the little drop down arrow to the right of there, try clicking on that and see if there is a C: windows or another windows to search and try again.

remember don't post the key or picture anywhere on the internet if it is found.

Edited by terry1966, 07 April 2015 - 09:20 AM.

Elton yu

Elton yu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Hey terry,thnx for giving me the helpful suggestion
Questions: where do u live so i can keep track of when you can reply to my post
in the BSOD (not the blue) will i just /scannow and it should do something or....
and finally no,there isnt another windows to search

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

i'm in the uk,

the sfc /scannow command will search the system files and repair any missing or corrupt ones, more on that here :- http://support.micro...en-us/kb/929833

the chkdsk /r command does more or less the same thing but it checks the hard drive for physical damage and tries to fix everything. :- http://www.w7forums....check-disk.448/

only problem is i can't remember how to start them running from the task manager if you only get as far as the black screen. :blush:

so would need to google it to find out if iammykyl isn't back by then. :D

what i'm really hoping for is that you can get to the desktop again like it did before and run those commands from there in the hopes of a permanent fix so it runs as normal without any slowdowns.

must warn you though, now you have a physically damaged drive it may get worse over time (may last years like it is too.) so if we can get everything up and running fine again for you i'd think about actually replacing it with a new drive or at least make a complete drive image as backup that can be used on a new drive if this one does fail later.

Edited by terry1966, 07 April 2015 - 09:52 AM.

Advertisements

Elton yu

Elton yu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
So what your telling me here is to Google how to do it in bsod
and probably why it was OK for the first time and just went bad after that is because it's getting worst?!? And I u have to get a new drive? [bleep]...

Elton yu

Elton yu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
So now research tells me to download a Windows 7 repair disc of some sort,which I'll try to do so tomorrow at my time and after that I can do what you said, even if we fixed this,I still lose the battle because I still have to buy something,i just feel so hopeless...

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

no not at all,

because the files are on a damaged part of the drive when it worked and got you to the desktop even though slow, it was probably able to read that part just enough for it to work, but now it can't read them any more and why you have the problem again.

what we need to do is find out what the problem files are and write them again to a part of the drive that it can use, which with any luck those commands will do when we can run them.

now because of my bad memory i can't remember how to use task manager which is what opens when you do a ctl alt+del at the black screen to get to the command line to run those commands, so yes i'd need to google it but i'm sure iammykyl would know because he uses a windows os where as i don't.

so yes you could also probably find the same info i would use if you googled it too.

as to replacing the hard drive that is probably something you won't need to do for a long time, if after everything we do now gets things working again even if it needs a full factory restore to do that, but i'd definitely make a backup image of the drive as soon as we do get things working just in case you find later things don't seem to work, or works but erratically then that might be the time to start thinking about replacing the drive but that is a bridge to cross when and if you need to at a later date and not something to worry about now.

just thought i'd warn you now though.

in answer to your last post while i was typing this, you don't need to use a windows repair disc because you have the recovery partition with the exact same programs and options to use, see the 2nd video from the link in this post :- http://www.geekstogo...-5#entry2492599 to find out how to get to it and the posted screen shot is of the menu options, that is the menu and options you'd get with a repair disc too, so as long as you can get to that screen then we should be able to get things up and running for you using that with any luck.

Edited by terry1966, 07 April 2015 - 10:28 AM.

Elton yu

Elton yu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Thnx bro for raising my hopes,i believes we can get this done in maybe 2 days XD
If my prayers will be answered ofcourse
Anyways when I do the System restore thing if that's what you mean,I keep on going on the black screen,
So going with your other post I should keep in doing it a few more times?

Elton yu

Elton yu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
In a completely different topic,do you use Mac os X? Or something? Just curious