Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Build Powers ON then OFF then ON?

build motherboard msi power

• Please log in to reply

armoose

armoose

• Pip
  • 6 posts

BSD

I have the new x99 motherboard MSI SLI PLUS. Upon powering up the machine the system turns on then immediately shuts off and then by itself turns on again. Its not that troubling as it takes like 10 seconds for this to occur. But i just dont want something that is unusual. Is this maybe a setting in BIOS that i might have clicked. I tried resetting the cmos didnt help. Also it really only started happening after i installed the rest of the RAM (i started with only 1 stick.) Any suggestions?

CPU intel i7 5820k
VGA EVGA Gtx 780 3gb
MSI SLI PLUS x99
Gskill 24gb (4x8gb) DDR4 2133
Cryorig h5 cooler
EVGA g2 750W Gold PSU
Windows 8.1

Advertisements

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Hello armoose  :welcome: ,

Upon powering up the machine the system turns on then immediately shuts off and then by itself turns on again. Its not that troubling as it takes like 10 seconds for this to occur.

:oops:  From your point i thought that may be your CPU temp may be high..  :upset:

Did you connect the cpu fan correctly? Are you sure it is working good?  :huh:

(just to clarify do not hesistate to answer please!) I know it is irritating when problem occurs suddenly like this..   :killcomp:

Edit: A faulty power cable and power supply unit also may be chace to happen like this.

Edited by Dashing star, 16 July 2015 - 11:13 PM.

armoose

armoose

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

So i tried removing all RAM sticks and powering up and it doesnt do it. It must be the RAM. CPU Temps are decent but not blazingly high. Without any RAM at all it doesnt do that. But when i put a stick of RAM in it does it. Weird. What do you suggest I do?

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Ok Lets go!  :thumbsup:

step 1:

Remove all the RAM.

Switch on the pc.

Did you hear beeps?

CPU fan running?

Hard disk running?

Step 2:

Insert one RAM in one slot and switch on the pc?

What was the result now?

Did your monitor show something? or shutdown after some seconds?

Similary do one RAM on each slot seperately to make sure RAM is good and RAM slots are good!

Are you sure the cpu shutdown? or the monitor only does not show anything?

Edit: Please select the Follow topic on top most right corner  gtg2.png to get updates.

Regards

Edited by Dashing star, 16 July 2015 - 11:39 PM.

armoose

armoose

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Wow thanks that really helped. So the restarting thing stopped. I tried 8gb, 16gb, 24gb, then 32gb. And 24gb works and everything boots normally but when I put the the other 8gb in to make 32gb. Then the monitor now doesnt work. Everything boots fine. The monitor just doesnt work. No signal. I am using a hdmi and dvi port  used seperately. Well at least I made progress any idea why this is happening now.

Oh the cpu fan is running and the temps are 38 C at idle with a 5820k which i heard is normal for a low mid range cooler like the cryorig. Now what do i do about this RAM you think?

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Thats it!  :yeah:

check the edges of RAM is not burned!

If so then your RAM is faulty one to make sure then use this RAM seperately on the slot and start your pc and see whether it works!

ramstick.jpg

armoose

armoose

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

All Ram sticks work. Tryed em all the first slot all are alive. Just when I put the last stick into DIMM 7 the monitor has no signal.

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

How you place your RAM? 

For ex. 1,3,5,7 or 2.4.6.8?

armoose

armoose

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

1, 3, 5, 7. But now the whole thing is back to its old ways, rebooting after the frist power up. Im gonna contact msi tomorrow. Ill keep the thread posted on if anything changes might be an RMA ending.

Edited by armoose, 17 July 2015 - 01:22 AM.

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

:oops:  sorry to hear this...

See what happens!

In mean time read this...  No post/no boot

Edited by Dashing star, 17 July 2015 - 01:27 AM.

armoose

armoose

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Thnk Gd everything works now! Before I called MSI I realized I didnt install the newest BIOS update. But that didnt really help it only went away when I updated the USB 3.0 drivers. Does that sound right? It hasnt happened since.

Edited by armoose, 19 July 2015 - 08:05 PM.

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Hello armoose,

Did you use VGA monitor or HDMI?