Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boot stuck on aswrvrt.sys after Windows 10 to Windows 7 revert

Windows 10 Windows 7 bsod Avast

Best Answer SleepyDude , 10 October 2015 - 09:13 AM

Hi, According with image you posted the OnChip SATA type option on the BIOS can have other values RAID, Legacy IDE, IDE -> AHCI try them all see if any of those option allow you to have th... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

One more please.

diskpart

sel disk 0

detail disk

Mine looks like this:

C:\Users\rrkurtz>diskpart

Microsoft DiskPart version 10.0.10240

Copyright (C) 1999-2013 Microsoft Corporation.
On computer: DESKTOP

DISKPART> list disk

Disk ###  Status         Size     Free     Dyn  Gpt
  --------  -------------  -------  -------  ---  ---
  Disk 0    Online          232 GB      0 B        *
  Disk 1    Online         1863 GB  1024 KB        *
  Disk 2    Online         1397 GB  1024 KB
  Disk 3    No Media           0 B      0 B

DISKPART> sel disk 0

Disk 0 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> detail disk

Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB
Disk ID: {E4BF3C3A-B75D-48A2-A7C0-2860DEE59991}
Type   : SATA
Path   : 0
Target : 0
LUN ID : 0
Location Path : PCIROOT(0)#PCI(1F02)#ATA(C00T00L00)
Current Read-only State : No
Read-only  : No
Boot Disk  : Yes
Pagefile Disk  : Yes
Hibernation File Disk  : No
Crashdump Disk  : No
Clustered Disk  : No

Volume ###  Ltr  Label        Fs     Type        Size     Status     Info
  ----------  ---  -----------  -----  ----------  -------  ---------  --------
  Volume 1     C   Lenovo_C     NTFS   Partition    206 GB  Healthy    Boot
  Volume 2                      RAW    Partition   1000 MB  Healthy    Hidden
  Volume 3         SYSTEM_DRV   FAT32  Partition    260 MB  Healthy    System
  Volume 4                      RAW    Partition    450 MB  Healthy    Hidden
  Volume 5                      RAW    Partition     24 GB  Healthy    Hidden

It almost looks like Windows thinks your disk 0 is Dynamic.

Edit: Some info here: https://technet.micr...y/cc771775.aspx

Edit2: Before doing anything to try to fix this, do you have a backup, preferably an image backup?

Advertisements

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

I'll see if I can make at least some kind of donation for your efforts as I'm a recently graduated student so my financial side ain't too strong :laughing:

No, no, that is not necessary.

My reward will be in seeing you happy that your machine is fixed. :)

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

I'll see if I can make at least some kind of donation for your efforts as I'm a recently graduated student so my financial side ain't too strong :laughing:

No, no, that is not necessary.

My reward will be in seeing you happy that your machine is fixed. :)

Ditto. We don't do this for a reward other than satisfaction when we help someone.

kajari

kajari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Edit2: Before doing anything to try to fix this, do you have a backup, preferably an image backup?

I have something but it's from last october. I'd rather preserve the current state of my files if possible as unfortunately I don't remember all the settings that my programs have.. I was too eager to update to Windows 10 that I just went and installed it without even thinking of making a backup and then reverting back to Windows 7 did this, possibly due to Avast cleanup deleting some files.

One more please.

diskpart

sel disk 0

detail disk

Here you go:

X:\Windows\System32>diskpart

Microsoft DiskPart version 6.1.7601
Copyright (C) 1999-2008 Microsoft Corporation.
On computer: MININT-HDJ0M48

DISKPART> list disk

Disk ###  Status         Size     Free     Dyn  Gpt
  --------  -------------  -------  -------  ---  ---
  Disk 0    Foreign         931 GB      0 B   *
  Disk 1    Online         7384 MB      0 B
  Disk 2    No Media           0 B      0 B
  Disk 3    No Media           0 B      0 B
  Disk 4    No Media           0 B      0 B
  Disk 5    No Media           0 B      0 B
  Disk 6    No Media           0 B      0 B

DISKPART> sel disk 0

Disk 0 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> detail disk

Disk ID: 2E56508F
Type   : ATA
Path   : 0
Target : 0
LUN ID : 0
Location Path : PCIROOT(0)#PCI(1100)#ATA(C00T00L00)
Current Read-only State : No
Read-only  : No
Boot Disk  : No
Pagefile Disk  : No
Hibernation File Disk  : No
Crashdump Disk  : No
Clustered Disk  : No

There are no volumes.

DISKPART>

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

That shows your drive is ATA (IDE), not SATA. Is that true or is it actually a SATA drive?

Since you can see all the files on the drive, please make an image backup of the drive to an external hard drive using a program like Macrium Reflect Free. Do you have somewhere you can install it on as you would need to create the rescue disc from the installed program to be able to do the image backup.

It will create a WinPE, Linux or BartPE based disc you can boot to do the image backup with.

Once you have that, try EaseUS Partition Recovery Wizard, see if that can resolve the problem with the hard drive.

If all else fails you can do a parallel install of Windows 7 which should place everything current;y on the drive under Windows.old or do a Clean Install then restore your data as needed from the image backup you create above.

Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7

To do a parallel install, follow the above but don't do the part about deleting all the existing partitions (skip this):

Boot the Windows 7 installer, choose Custom Install, then at the Drive Selection screen access the Drive Options (Advanced) to Delete all partitions not needed, repartition and format as shown in Steps 7 and 8 of Clean Install Windows 7 which illustrated steps will guide you through actual install.

Just install to the current OS partition. That will move everything into Windows.old. I think it would be better to do the full Clean Install but you could try this first if you want then do a Clean Install if necessary.

If you don't have a Windows 7 installation DVD, flash drive or ISO, let me know exactly what you need and I'll see what I can find.

kajari

kajari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

First before trying any of the steps above I checked my BIOS and it says that my 2nd Boot Device(first being CD for the Win 7 Repair disc) is SATA:3M-WDC WD10EA.

I took a picture of my Integrated Peripherals-->IDE Function Setup just so you can check if there's something wrong in the settings. 20150929_102258.jpg

If they are fine then I'll try the steps you mentioned above.

Edit: I have 2 TB external hard drive with around 400-500 GB free storage and a 4.7GB DVD. Are they enough for the image backup and the program?

Edited by kajari, 29 September 2015 - 01:34 AM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

You have room to spare! Please go ahead and do the image backup then try EaseUS.

kajari

kajari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

I believe images tell you more than just my words so I took a couple photos to help you as much as possible regarding my issue. I tried to do the image backup to my external hard drive but my hard drive won't show up as you can see below.

20150930_112826.jpg

My hard drive is listed as X: and the size of it is 125 MB or then it's just the boot section and my hard drive isn't listed at all..

20150930_112744.jpg

20150930_112801.jpg

I ran the Try Ubuntu 12.04 from my USB flash drive and it shows my HDD is 483 GB in size which is the partition that my Windows is on. I once split the hard drive to put any programs and large media files to their own separate partitions. Apparently the media partition isn't showing in Ubuntu either.

20150930_151300.jpg

Here are the contents of the hard drive which to me looks like all there should be.

20150930_150950.jpg

I also took a photo of the Windows and Program Files (x86) folders just to show that there's still something in them.

20150930_151009.jpg

20150930_151022.jpg

Is there a possibility to make the image from Ubuntu? Or maybe I just have to run the EaseUS Partition Recovery Wizard and hope for the best? It's really starting to feel like a lost case to me..

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Try running chkdsk from a booted Win 7 install disk.

How to run chkdsk from the Recovery Console

• Boot your Vista or Windows 7 installation DVD
  • When you see "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD", press Enter.
  • At the "Install Windows" screen, click on Repair your computer at lower left
  • At the System Recovery Options screen, make note of the drive letter assigned to your boot drive (normally C: ) and click Next
  • At the Chose a Recovery Tool window, click on Command Prompt. You will be sitting at X:\Sources directory.

Run chkdsk

• If you did not note the drive letter of your boot disk, you can enter bcdedit and look at the osdevice line to see what it is.
  • For chkdsk, type chkdsk c: /r and press Enter (use the letter from above if not C: ).
  • Let it run to completion undisturbed.

If no help or it won't run then EaseUS may be the only option.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Hi Kajari,

Rich I hope you don't mind I'm step in....

To make the disk visible to Macrium Refect access the BIOS and in the settings page you posted in post #21 change the Sata Type to AHCI

After the backup change the option back to Native IDE.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Hope that works! Thanks

kajari

kajari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Hi SleepyDude!

I changed my Sata Type from Native IDE to AHCI and wasn't able to boot the Macrium Refect as now my CD/DVD drive isn't listed in boot device options so I changed the Sata Type back to Native IDE for the time being.

I have the Windows 7 installation on my USB flash drive and going to boot device selection menu to select it the CD/DVD drive is visible now that I have Native IDE again.

I don't have the "Repair your computer" option at the "Install Windows" screen. Could it be because it's USB and not DVD? Where could I get a DVD version to try the repair from here?

20151001_110319.jpg

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

I changed my Sata Type from Native IDE to AHCI and wasn't able to boot the Macrium Refect as now my CD/DVD drive isn't listed in boot device options so I changed the Sata Type back to Native IDE for the time being.

I have the Windows 7 installation on my USB flash drive and going to boot device selection menu to select it the CD/DVD drive is visible now that I have Native IDE again.

That doesn't make sense! When you changed to AHCI did you notice any change on the options bellow that one?

Make sure the following options don't change:

SATA IDE Combined mode: Enabled
Combined mode: SATA as primary
OnBoard PCI IDE: Both

On the same screen you can press Enter on every option IDE SLAVE/MASTER option to make sure the HDD and the DVD are detected.

kajari

kajari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Thanks for the quick reply!

I didn't notice anything so I checked again and nothing changes when switching from Native IDE to AHCI. I took some step-by-step pictures for you guys to check. Even the Master/Slave options stay the same. Showing HDD on Third IDE Master and CDROM on Fourth IDE Master as you'll see in the pictures below.

20151001_112126.jpg

20151001_112209.jpg

20151001_112219.jpg

20151001_112229.jpg

20151001_112240.jpg

20151001_112253.jpg

20151001_112302.jpg

20151001_112312.jpg

20151001_112325.jpg

20151001_112457.jpg

20151001_112407.jpg

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Hi,

All the drives you have are sata or you have IDE's also?

Can you post a screenshot of the screen related with the boot configuration?

By the way enable the option 32Bit Data Transfer on the devices when available, it will give you faster transfer when accessing the HDD.