Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Checking before installing SSD in Acer Laptop

SSD Acer

Best Answer SleepyDude , 21 September 2018 - 08:35 AM

Hi, I'm sorry we couldn't resolve the problem without a full reinstall... Its good to have a flash drive containing the Windows 10 install DVD, it could be useful to resolve problems... s... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi,

Sorry for the delay!

Using the Windows 10 Update Assistant to upgrade when you have a slow connection isn't very good because if it fails then it will download several things again...

If you want to upgrade is better to use the Media Creation Tool https://www.microsof...nload/windows10 the tool can download Windows 10 and create a flash drive or DVD, its a better option because its a very big download that you will do one time and then can try the upgrade several times.

Most likely it fail because of the problem installing the device drivers!

Can you locate the following logs:

C:\Windows\inf\setupapi.app.log
C:\Windows\inf\setupapi.dev.log

Zip them and attach the zip to your post.

Advertisements

OZDOUG

OZDOUG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
Hi SD,

Sorry for the slow response....again. 

Couldn't locate 'C:\Windows\inf\setupapi.app.log' but I got 'C:\Windows\inf\setupapi.app' text file....contents below: 
----------------------------
[Device Install Log]
     OS Version = 10.0.10586
     Service Pack = 0.0
     Suite = 0x0300
     ProductType = 1
     Architecture = amd64

[BeginLog]
---------------------------
That was all there was!!

The other file,'C:\Windows\inf\setupapi.dev.log' is zipped but I cannot attach it as the message at the bottom of the screen says, 'You have exceeded your allotted disk space for attachments'.  Hmmmmmm.......that's a new one on me from G2G!! Not sure what I can do about that but I will see if there are any options in my G2G account.......

I'll look at using the other link you sent for the Windows 10 upgrade. I have a blank USB to install the Windows 10 on & then boot the machine from it.............
I'll let you know what happens!!

OZDOUG

OZDOUG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

SD,

Went in to my account & deleted all the old attachments but none from this epic thread!!

Zipped file 'C:\Windows\inf\setupapi.dev.log' is attached.............

Attached Files

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi,

It seems there are some permission errors on the log!

Download Windows Repair (All-in-One) Portable

• extract the tweaking.com_windows_repair_aio.zip to c:\Windows\TEMP the zip will extract to a folder called Tweaking.com - Windows Repair
  • execute the file Repair_Windows.exe from the Tweaking.com - Windows Repair folder, accept the Security warning and the EULA
  • click the button Jump To Repairs
  • accept the tool prompt and let the System Restart in Safe Mode to execute the next steps
  • click the Open Repairs button to access the following screen:
    WindowsRepair.png
  • click the box All Repairs to uncheck all the box's
  • check only the following box's:
    • 01 - Reset Registry Permissions
    • 02 - Reset File Permissions
    • 03 - Reset Service Permissions
    • 04 - Register System Files
    • 05 - Repair WMI
    • 10 - Remove Policies Set By Infections
    • 16 - Repair Windows Updates
    • 20 - Repair MSI (Windows Installer)
    • 25 - Restore Important Windows Services
    • 26 - Set Windows Services to Default Startup
  • check the box Restart/Shutdown System When Finished > Restart System
  • click the Start Repairs button

OZDOUG

OZDOUG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
Hi SD,

I posted that I had run the Windows 10 install from a USB drive....but the post I see did not appear!!
Anyway it created the USB drive W10 OK, then it ran on the machine OK...it seemed. There were a number of reboots then when I checked it some hours later it said it had encountered some problems & had reverted back to an earlier version of W10. The message window is attached below. 
(I checked the error coder & it seemed to relate to update problems with this 1803 version of W10 but I didn't try to run it again.):
10SEP Cannot Install Windows.JPG

Downloaded 'Tweaking' to Desktop, then extracted all to Windows/Temp.....no problem. 
Ran through the steps but when machine rebooted in Safe Mode I had to restart Tweaking from Temp folder. 
Did not go through the Safe Mode routine again as I assumed I was now in Safe Mode.....otherwise it would keep rebooting........
Clicked Open Repairs, unchecked All Repairs, & made the selections as you advised.
12SEP-Tweaking Repairs selections.JPG

.....then I let it run.
After a while it finished & rebooted. I don't see any change to the machine's problems so do you want me to run the W10 USB installer again?.......

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi,

Sorry I forgot to ask can you post the Tweaking log please (check the log folder inside the tweaking folder) I want to confirm it did the changes first.

OZDOUG

OZDOUG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

SD,

There were a couple of logs in a log folder so I just zipped the whole folder.........attached!

No other action taken....standing by!!   :geek:

Attached Files

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi Sorry for the delay.

Try to upgrade Windows 10 by running the Setup from the flash drive.

If the install fails again post the error code and the new logs.

OZDOUG

OZDOUG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

VICTORY.png

We did it!!

From the flash drive I was selecting 'upgrade' to save any of my files but then I realised there was really nothing on the machine that I couldn't replace later.....so I selected 'install'. After a short while I got a fright by a female voice shouting, "Hi, I'm Cortana!"  Then I knew it had worked!!

I've run some basic checks but I cannot see anything that isn't working....WiFi, display, etc plus it also cleaned up the old eMMC drive so at the moment I think I have my old friend back!!

I will keep the W10 Install flash drive I created as a back up.

:yeah:  :spoton:

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi,

It seems that your Windows had some problems that eventually only a new installation could solve!

Thank you for the update.

Advertisements

OZDOUG

OZDOUG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

SD,

VERY many thanks for your guidance in getting this resolved....could not of done it without you Sir!!!!!    :spoton:

One last question please!:

The USB drive with the Windows 10 installation on it that I downloaded & used the get the machine back again. Should I keep it as the W10 'back up'?  You will remember that these machines I have did not come with installation disks.......

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts
✓  Best Answer

Hi,

I'm sorry we couldn't resolve the problem without a full reinstall...

Its good to have a flash drive containing the Windows 10 install DVD, it could be useful to resolve problems... specially when you don't have access to another computer to download it from internet.

You are Welcome.