Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Checking before installing SSD in Acer Laptop

SSD Acer

Best Answer SleepyDude , 21 September 2018 - 08:35 AM

Hi, I'm sorry we couldn't resolve the problem without a full reinstall... Its good to have a flash drive containing the Windows 10 install DVD, it could be useful to resolve problems... s... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

OZDOUG

OZDOUG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
Hi SD,

I did the 'machine.config' file renameing in the 'Framework64' folder, & rebooted the machine. 

I ran the installation for WiFi PROSet64 & it came up with choices to 'Repair' or 'Uninstall' so I selected 'Repair'. It ran straight through & gave message 'Sucess', so I selected 'Finish'.
I selected 'Network Settings' to look for WiFi but the message was, "This app can't open using the built in Administrator account. Sign in with a different account". I selected OK & Network Settings opened up but under Airplane mode it showed no WiFi on the machine.
I uninstalled WiFiPROSET with the idea to start again fresh. Uninstalled & rebooted machine then ran the installation again.
Ran it & it stopped at 'Installing WiFi Link driver'....after about 10mins it was obvious nothing was happening so I selected 'Cancel' but it just sat there cycling again so I shut it down via Task Manager. I went in to Programmes & selected 'Change' & Repair....it ran & message came up with 'Success', etc.....
I checked in Device Manager under 'Network Adapters but still no WiFi shown.....

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Hi,

Use your normal account, uninstall the Wifi software, also check the Device Manager, right click on the wireless card an uninstall make sure you select the option to also remove the drivers. Restart the computer and then try to install the WiFiPROSET.

OZDOUG

OZDOUG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
Hi SD,

Switched to User account I had before.....under Programmes I selected to uninstall the WiFiPROSet & got the following message:
UNINSTALL WARNING 02aug.JPG

I selected 'continue' (& also went back to check I was signed out of Administrator account). On the uninstall page I selected not to save any settings....everything ran OK & told me, 'Success'. 
Went in to Device Manager but could not find anything related to a wireless card....I think it should normally be under 'Network adapters'...??  All I found listed there was, 'Realtek PCLe GBE Family Controller'.........

I stopped there as want to be sure I am looking in the right place so as to be able to do a proper uninstall.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Hi,

That is correct on the screenshots of the Device Manager you post before the device was listed under Network Adapters.

You can also make sure it is not hidden by enabling the option View -> Show Hidden Devices on the Device Manager

It seems you switched accounts and didn't log-off before make sure you restart the computer before trying to install the driver again, usually those wireless drivers have some programs associated that are running for every user, they should be removed during the system startup...

OZDOUG

OZDOUG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
Hi SD,

I signed in to my old 'Sir' user account & checked WiFi PROSet was uninstalled, then to Device Manager, Network Adapters & selected options to show 'Hidden'. Screen grab below.  
Device Manager Sir 04AUG.JPG

I then signed out of 'Sir' & rebooted the machine. It booted back up to the 'Sir' sign in screen but I selected to switch to 'Administrator' account, & checked Device Manager....screen grab is attached.
Device Manager Administrator 04AUG.JPG

Then put the WiFi PROSet on the Desktop & ran the installation.....ran OK then over halfway it stuck at "Installing: Intel WiFi Link Driver".....just sat there for about 12mins cycling & no progress, so I hit 'cancel;'. That cycled for another 10mins before I had to shut it down via Task Manager!

I stopped at that but wanted to mention something regarding the 'User' accounts on the troubled machine in 'Administrator'. The screen grab is below:
Users on Administrator 04AUG.JPG

I then signed out of 'Administrator' & signed in to 'Sir' account where the installation screen of WiFi PROSet was waiting for me!  Did not understand that unless the machine is trying to run 2 User accounts at the same time.....?  I did not try to run the installation.

While I was there I also checked the User accounts in Explorer....screen grab is below:
Users on Sir 04AUG.JPG

I wondering why I have so many User accounts on the machine, & why none of them are called 'Sir' which is the name I changed my account to before I had installed the SSD....or maybe I did it after & there is some conflict going on.....??

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Hi,

Those user accounts are normal. Most likely you renamed and account Doug to Sir, changing a user name is very risky and because of that Microsoft decided to change only the "Display Name" and not the profile folder name because that can create several problems.

Don't use the Administrator account unless specified. Try to install the wireless driver using your normal account and wait, sometimes the installer can take a long time to complete... also make sure the setup isn't waiting for input in some other minimized window.

Some times there is a window in the background asking for confirmation similar to this:

Intel-Intel-R-Management-Engine-Interfac

If you have any Security Software running besides Windows Defender suspend the protection to avoid any interference and speedup the installation.

OZDOUG

OZDOUG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Sorry SD....I've been getting sidetracked here the last few days with family issues & government pensions....
Your instructions/advice are noted so I will get a quiet moment to focus on this & work through it.

Thanks again for your patience!!

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Hi,

No problem.

OZDOUG

OZDOUG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

SD,

Just had a major break through I think!

I recently received a load of boxes of personal items from overseas......& I just remembered that in there is a portable USB 'D-Link' WiFi modem!  I just plugged it in to the bad machine & we now have web access!!   :yeah:  :spoton:

........& of course Mr. Microsoft comes straight up & says my machine needs a load of security updates so I have let in run......

At this point I will not do the WiFi PROSet installation but will wait for you advice as to the next step now that we have web access.   

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Hi,

That will help for sure because now you can use the following command to check and repair the system.

DISM scan

• Please open up a Command Prompt Window as a Administrator, instructions for Windows 10.
  • Inside the command prompt window type or Copy & Paste the following command:
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    Note: This may take some time to finish.
  • Locate the log c:\Windows\logs\cbs\CBS.log copy the file to the Desktop, Zip it and attach to your post.

Note: If the file is too big to attach please upload it to a service like Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive or upload to SendSpace and just provide the link for the file here.

Advertisements

OZDOUG

OZDOUG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

HI SD,

Sorry for slow response but got hit with a Man-Flu & just feeling better today!

Ran the DISM command as you instructed. First attmpt I let it 'run' for about 4hrs but all it did was go to 20% within a minute, then just sat there cycling. 

DISM 15AUG.JPG

Shut down the machine then tried again this morning....this time it went to 100% & done!

DISM Done 16AUG.jpg

Couldn't find file exactly called "CBS.log" in the location you indicated but there was a 3mb txt file which seemed to be the log file. Zipped it down to about 300kb & it is now attached.

** Looked at the WiFi & HD graphics in Device Manager but there appears to be no change. I shut the machine down to wait for next step.   :geek:

Attached Files

• Attached File  CBS.zip   314.08KB   244 downloads

Edited by OZDOUG, 15 August 2018 - 09:14 PM.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Hi,

Its normal that dism seems stuck at 20% but is actually working...

Now that you have internet access, open the Device Manager, right click the devices and click Update Driver, let windows search for the drivers on Windows Update. Another way to do this is to search for updates, Windows 10 will also report any drivers on the machine that need an update based on the Microsoft drivers database...

OZDOUG

OZDOUG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Hi SD,

Just to keep in touch.....I am trying the Windows updates option which in their list of updates includes my WiFi & Sound card & display graphics.....plus it seems I need a few Windows 10 updates also.

But it is a slow process with the web connection here!!

I'll get back to you as soon as I get some real progress!

Thanks again for your patience!

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Hi,

I understand. Thank you for the update.

OZDOUG

OZDOUG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
Hi SD.....back again!

OK, ran the updates for a few days (very slow!) & when I was doing it via 'Settings, Update & Security' it always went to 95% then sat there just cycling. Initially I let it sit like that for about 3hrs or so then would reboot the machine & it would start again!.......One time I let it run for a full day & once even overnight but the result was the same.....'Failed to install'.

I then remembered I had a link to something called Windows 10 Update Assistant which I then tried. It ran to 100% after a few hours then told me it needed to reboot a few times to complete the updates. I allowed that to happen & it eventually settled down with no more reboots. In Device Manager it still showed no internal WiFi or Intel Graphics, etc so no real change it seems.

I went back to Settings, Update & Security & it showed me the following error codes for the recent attempts.......
Intel WLAN Dual Band Wireless AC3168: Error 0x80070157
....& was same code for the Bluetooth Controller & Realtek Semiconductor....

*** During one of the attempts with Upload Assistant & the subsequent reboots I thought I saw a brief message that said, 'Reverting to earlier version of Windows'....which I thought was strange. I checked my version of Windows 10 & it is 1511 which I understand is no longer supported.....??