Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Acer Aspire One display goes black

Display black acer Acer note book Black screen Acer adpire one d257

• Please log in to reply

Hurddu

Hurddu

• Pip
  • 7 posts
The display on my Acer Aspire D257 goes black not to long after startup. In troubleshooting I performed the following suggestions:
- flashed the bios,
- remove the battery and power cord, pressed power button fo 20 sec., plug power
- connected and external monitor and it also went black after start up

Any ideals what the cause can be, Mother board, HHD?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

:welcome:   Hurddu,

Couple of questions if I may,

When you connected the external display did you see anything on it or was it black from the start.

Have you tried starting in Safe Mode, if yes was it the same outcome.

Does your Acer have additional internal memory modules.

Not sure who suggested flashing the BIOS but that is always a last resort as it can actually make things worse.

Acer Aspire D257 user manual here 

NB: So that I can confirm that you have received notification of my reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

Hurddu

Hurddu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I've connected an external monitor an it shows the same as the main display. The laptop boots up fine, but after short time the Acer is up and running both displays go black. The outcome is the same in the safe mode.

I don't know what mean by internal memory modules.

When you connected the external display did you see anything on it or was it black from the start.
 I'm

Not sure who suggested flashing the BIOS but that is always a last resort as it can actually make things worse.

NB: So that I can confirm that you have received notification of my reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

So the computer will actually boot into Windows, work ok for a while and then the screen goes black - Can you at any time hear the internal cooling fan working as this suggests an overheating problem, this can affect various items of hardware but apart from the CPU the integrated video chip is also subject to extreme temperatures that require an appropriate cooling solution and next up is the memory which also suffers as a consequence of overheating.

Regarding what I said about any possible internal memory modules, I provided the link to your user manual so that you could read it, you may not have time so may I draw your attention to the following;

From page one of the user manual;

System Memory
NOTE: It is not possible for end users to upgrade the Aspire one memory.
• One DDRII SO-DIMM slots support 512MB to 1024MB system memory
• 512MB on board memory
• 1MB Flash BIOS

And the attachment below which is page 60 of the user manual;

No need to quote my replies btw and may I politely remind you to click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page as this will ensure that you are notified of any reply to your thread.

Hurddu

Hurddu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I went back to perform the checks you listed.
- The fan is working. I here it and can feel warm air blowing out.
- Not sure if really tested booting safe mode, I did just that. The note book did not go black.
- Since the manual indicated that the Aspire One doesn't come with a DIMM module, I didn't try opening the note book.

Any other recommendations?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

The fan working and expelling the hot air is good news  :thumbsup:

The memory modules if present or not can be put aside if the computer does work ok in Safe Mode.

Restart the computer in Safe Mode with Networking, go into Device Manager and check for any yellow ! or red Xs and in particular next to the Display Adapters, use the computer as you normally would while in Safe Mode with Networking and post back with an update for us.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Not heard from you for a while Hurddu, do you still require help with this or is the matter now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

Hurddu

Hurddu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Sorry for the delay in responding. My new job has kept me busy.

I booted up in Safe Mode Networking and opened Device Manager. It showed the list of the notebook hardware and devices. I didn't see and red or yellow indicators. I viewed the properties of display card and it didn't show and problems. I wasn't sure if I needed to look deeper. I took a screen shot so that I could show you. Shortly after taking the screen shot I opened my email to export the photo and screen began to flicker every time I touched the mouse pad or any area around it. Lines appeared across the screen and froze. See the picture I took with my phone.

What are thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Shortly after taking the screen shot I opened my email to export the photo and screen began to flicker every time I touched the mouse pad or any area around it. Lines appeared across the screen and froze.

That would normally suggest a loose or damaged cable/ribbon.

Was the computer in safe mode when you took the above screenshot.

Hurddu

Hurddu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yes, it was in safe mode.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Points even more so to it being a damaged or loose video cable/ribbon, if this is the cause the garbled display should not be reproduced on an external screen unless the problem is caused by a bared wire shorting out the MB, when the display is as shown in the above picture try an external display and let us know what that is like.

Hurddu

Hurddu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I connected an external monitor and Didn't get the lines. The note book freezes, not responding to any key command. I've hard rebooted to normal and safe mode and it freezes in both situations. Do you think it's the motherboard?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

I suspect that one or more internal connections are either loose or damaged and namely the video and trackpad cable/ribbons, this based on the external display not having the same lines, meaning that the MBs video chip is ok and the computer freezing in both normal and safe mode making software as the cause less likely.

Do you have a USB keyboard that you can try on the notebook to see if that works when the notebook next freezes.

Hurddu

Hurddu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I'm throwing in the towel. An external keyboard and mouse didn't work. Following a how to video on YouTube I removed the keyboard to check the ribbon connections and they were fine. I reassembled and now the display doesn't work.

Thanks for your assistance in troubleshooting. I'm done with it . I told my son I will replace it with a refurbished one from Best Buy.

Thanks again.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Not a problem and should you wish to take another look at it in the future feel free to post back in this thread, you are welcome btw  :thumbsup: