Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Randoming restarting and freezing

Restarting Freezing Crashing Support Failure

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Got that.   So as far as I can see, no overheating problems.That your GPU is a refurbished one does make things more complicated, 

Run DDU again and when finished the uninstall,

Place the GPU disk in the optical drive and install the original drivers and software for there.

When installed, leave everything on defaults and test playing some games.

Advertisements

Spectralunicorn1

Spectralunicorn1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Heyo, I did two days to work out how many crashes. Only two so far, one yesterday in the middle of NSUNS4, and another during No More Room in [bleep]. A lot less crashes than before. 

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

When you say crashes, do you mean,

The game stops running, but you can still do other thing?

The game stops and the computer freezes, completely non responsive.?

The computer shuts down without warning?  It stays off, or restarts?

Do you get any warning messages, either at the crash, or when you restart?

Please reply with your answers first, then

download WD Diagnostic too, >  http://support.wdc.c...ds.aspx?lang=en

Create a Restore Point.

Read the how to instruction.

Perform the EXTENDED TEST - performs a Full Media Scan to detect bad sectors. Test may take several hours to complete depending on the size of the drive.

Spectralunicorn1

Spectralunicorn1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Two of them. Most of the time it shuts off, no warning. (Restarts right after.) Sometimes it will freeze, in which I gotta shut the computer down. 

Spectralunicorn1

Spectralunicorn1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Oh, that test? I've ran the extended test before. (It was the first thing I did after the first crash.) It passed, nothing bad. Had to look at the interface to know what the program was. Sorry for late replies by the way, been stacked with some work. 

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Not a problem.

Please download/run HWMonitor.   When it opens, > go full screen and take a screenshot, > scroll up, take a 2nd shot and add to a reply.

Perform a file check.

Type CMD in the search box.   in the result window > right click on the text cmd, (there's an icon beside it)  > from the drop down menu > click Pin to Taskbar..

click the taskbar cmd icon, > the Command window will open at c:\Windows\system32

Copy the bolded text sfc /scannow and paste into the Command window, > press enter and wait.

You will get one of three results,

Windows did not find any integrity violations (OK)
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and repaired them (OK)

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some (or all) of them (Not OK)

If you get the last result then copy and paste sfc /scannow again and press Enter.If you still get the bad result.
perform sfc /scannow for a third time.

If you still get the bad result.
Copy and paste the bolted text into the command window, findstr /c:"[SR]" \windows\logs\cbs\cbs.log > \junk.txt > press Enter
then Copy and paste the bolted text into the command window, notepad \junk.txt > press Enter.

When Notepad opens, > copy and paste the text into you next reply.

Spectralunicorn1

Spectralunicorn1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Heyo! Sorry, i've been swamped with work lately. Here's the links to the pictures

http://imgur.com/z8w0C1C

http://imgur.com/2EKAwp3

Also, I'm getting an RX-470 soon, so if the problem stops we can narrow it down to the GPU. Also, I called gigabyte support and they said that I was crashing due to my motherboard having a PCI-E 2,0 slot, and the RX taking a 3.0 slot. That didn't seem right to me. Also, the file check went alright, no errors. 

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

No worries.

Gigabyte support, a load of bull; video  cards are backwards compatible.

HWMonitor reading are good, except the voltage, showns all wrong.

Please start SPECCY, > go full screen, > in the left column, > click Motherboard, *info, including voltage will be displayed,) > take a screenshot and upload. 

Spectralunicorn1

Spectralunicorn1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Alrighty, here's the link.

http://imgur.com/Ela50yk

Spectralunicorn1

Spectralunicorn1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Heyo! I got an update I wanted to tell you about. I was looking up for cures and whatnot, and I learned that my card was at ~1220 MHz. I didn't overclock or anything, so I put it down to the natural 460 speed. (1090 or something.) A lot of people said that it helped with their 460, thought I'd try. Next, I did some edits in the global wattman that was also said to help with the crashing. It was setting everything to automatic/dynamic. I'll report if this problem goes away or persist. 

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks for updating.

Your volts show consistaqntly the same values across the software tools we used.   I think it is just a glitch in the reporting as if they were really that low, your computer would probable not even run.

If you still have issues after your tweaking, let us know when the crashes and freezing happen.

crishwatson

crishwatson

• Pip
  • 8 posts

My PC used to freeze and get restarted automatically every 5 minutes. I realized that its switched-mode power supply (SMPS) was not working properly. I got it changed and viola! Now it is running smoothly. But I am not sure what it is in your case. Fans are running! Hmm... may be motherboard?

Spectralunicorn1

Spectralunicorn1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

I think my MB is solid, perhaps I am wrong on that. The crashing has stopped completely, I still get one-two freezes here and there. Though it's not even close to as constant as before. 

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

With the tests done that are available to us, I would say all your hardware is OK.   If the crashes have stopped, looks like the tweaks you did, reply #40, where the cure.

The freezing may be due to lack of CPU and memory resources: Not enough free space on the HDD, it being over 80% full: so many start up programs, too many auto updates.

The following instructions, thanks to RKinner

1. Please download the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso
and save it to your Desktop:
2. Right-click VEW.exe and Run AS Administrator

3. Under 'Select log to query', select: * System.

4. Under 'Select type to list', select:.* Error* Warning

Then use the 'Number of events' as follows:
1. Click the radio button for 'Number of events'
Type 20 in the 1 to 20 box
Then click the Run button.
Notepad will open with the output log.
Please post the Output log in your next reply
then, repeat but select * Application.  (Each time you run VEW it overwrites the log so copy the first one to a Reply or rename it before running it a second time.)

Get Process Explorer

Save it to your desktop then run it (Vista or Win7+ - right click and Run As Administrator).  

View, Select Column, check Verified Signer, OK
Options, Verify Image Signatures

Click twice on the CPU column header  to sort things by CPU usage with the big hitters at the top.  

Wait a full minute then:

File, Save As, Save.  Note the file name.   Open the file  on your desktop and copy and paste the text to a reply.